"Open With" problem after installing parallels (pic)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brsboarder, Apr 26, 2009.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I can't understand whats going on here. Anyone know how to fix this. Specifically, how I can open vlc, mplayer, and real player from my bootcamp partition, even though they don't exisit there.
    [​IMG]

2. flapperdink macrumors member

that's odd. i've never had a mac program show up on the windows partition, but i've noticed that with my parallels, when i did choose to open something with a windows based program it would launch windows in parallels and open the document. i've never been asked to open a doc with a mac based program in my windows install.

i'm curious as to what happens when you do choose to open the doc with the mac based program in your boot camp partition.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is perfectly normal behavior, if you use Parallels and Boot Camp together. Parallels installs some tools that enable launching Mac programs to open documents from within Windows. This obviously won't work while booted into Windows natively, but will when running Parallels.

4. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, see, these are icons when I'm not actively running parallels, and I'm only running OS X. Not running windows.

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

It looks like it tries to open my vmware, yet, it happened only after installing parallels

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The reverse of what I said is also true... Parallels installs tools allowing launching Windows programs from Mac OS X, as well as the other way around.