Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Aspyr is set to release action-adventure game Mafia III for Mac on Thursday with support for Apple's Metal API, according to MacGamerHQ.

The open-world game developed by Hangar 3 is the third installment in the Mafia series to offer both third-person perspective gaming and a cover system, featuring melee combat, character interrogation, and more.

Mafia-3.jpg

The game is set in 1968 New Bordeaux - a re-imagined version of New Orleans - which is ten districts big and larger than both Mafia and Mafia II maps combined. Players take control of Lincoln Clay, a Vietnam War veteran on a quest to seek revenge for his adopted family, murdered at the hands of local mobs.

The game will be available on Steam and the Mac App Store for $39.99, but interested gamers should take a good look at the minimum system requirements below before ordering, as the graphically intense Mafia III looks set to be a demanding game.

[*]Operating System: macOS 10.12.4 (Sierra)

[*]Processor: Intel Core i5 (4 cores)

[*]Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

[*]Memory: 8 GB

[*]Hard Drive Space: 50 GB

[*]Video Card (AMD): Radeon R9 M290X

[*]VRAM: 2 GB
Note that Mafia III requires an AMD video card with at least 2GB of VRAM to run - Intel and Nvidia graphics cards are not supported. Qualified Mac models include: AMD Radeon Pro 450, 455, or 460 (late 2016 MBP); AMD Radeon R9 M370X (mid 2015 and 2016 MBP); AMD Radeon R9 M380, M390, M395, or M395X (late 2015 iMac); AMD Radeon R9 M290X or Radeon R9 M295X (late 2014 iMac); and AMD FirePro D300, dual AMD FirePro D500, or dual AMD FirePro D700 (late 2013 MacPro).

Aspyr warns that without meeting these requirements, users can expect sub-par frame rates or severe game instability.

Update: Mafia 3 is now available on Steam and the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Open World Action-Adventure 'Mafia 3' Coming to Mac on May 11 [Update: Now Available]

keithdoc

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
Don't feel bad. You could have paid through the nose to find the ONE configuration option in your iMac or MacBook that has dedicated graphics card, and still be disappointed with frame rate / performance.

At least this isn't a PORT!

Reactions: dysamoria and !!!

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Don't feel bad. You could have paid through the nose to find the ONE configuration option in your iMac or MacBook that has dedicated graphics card, and still be disappointed with frame rate / performance.
The blame is on Apple for making the software but completely forgetting you need actual hardware to take advantage of said software. Really? At least the Hackintosh route is one alternative...

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Ok so whilst it is Windows only, at this time for those that run BootCamp there is a demo available on Steam. Also the Windows version should be 35 sheets and not the usual Apple taxed price.
[doublepost=1494423002][/doublepost]
Any reasoning why NVIDIA cards won't work
My question too. Perhaps someone with more grey matter than I can help out?

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I don't know a lot about PC gaming but would this look better on the Xbox One S hooked up to my 4K 65" display OR my 5K 4Ghz iMac w/ R395x 4GB VRAM 27" Monitor?

Both xbox & Mac versions are the same price.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I loved the first Mafia game.

May as well get this for the PS4 if it's decent enough of a game. At least it runs.

Mafia 3 had so much potential and fell flat for me. Way to many glitches, cumbersome A.I., stagnant missions, graphically it was decent. The cut scenes were very good and the setting during the Louisiana era was brilliantly done with the environment and voice acting.

diegov12

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
I love how once in a while the lack of graphic power in macs comes up.

Apple doesn't care even tho the gaming business is huge.
When you use it fro gaming the advantages of macOS go away.

Professionals buy macs because its powerful unix with a simple interface.

Macilias

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
Hy nice Quote
"Professionals buy macs because its powerful unix with a simple interface."
Need to remember it for the OS discussions :)

Lets keep fingers crossed, the minimal required has been build as the bottom line graphic in iMacs from 2014. A 2015 MBP has already a AMD Radeon R9 MX370X, so more than 4 Year old HW might be too old here indeed. Could it be that windows users update their gaming PC more often than that?

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Gaming on a mac is like drag racing a moped.

Depends on which Mac (I have a Mac Pro from 2010 with GTX 970 graphics card so gaming works pretty well) and which game. But yes, in general gaming on a Mac is lacklustre because of limited hardware options and because the same game running in Windows almost always perform better on the same hardware compared to running it in MacOS.

But I still feel things are also slowly moving forward with NVIDIA releasing MacOS drivers for their latest GPUs, external GPUs and Apple's Metal API.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
When you use it fro gaming the advantages of macOS go away.

Professionals buy macs because its powerful unix with a simple interface.

It has an optional BSD Unix sub-system (can be removed) but macOS is a hybrid XNU just to be clear ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU

Most operating systems have hybrid kernels and can have a number of sub-systems. Windows 10 now has an Ubuntu Linux sub-system if anyone wants to use it.

But I'm not having that conversation after almost 20 years of use lol

Reactions: dysamoria

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Even if I wanted to kill my Macs from GPU heat, I couldn't run this. Hearing that it's badly optimized on PC is depressing, too. It seems the game industry just doesn't care about anything other than consoles (which don't run reliably either, according to owners).

Still, it's better than the state of gaming on the Mac.

Until top GPU tech becomes small enough where it fits, uncrippled, in one of Jony Ive's thin-obsessed designs (this will probably never happen, because physics), or until Apple releases a pro Mac which accepts desktop GPUs (at a competitive price) AND updates OpenGL in Mac OS (Metal is nice and all, but cross-platform development goes better with platform-agnostic graphics APIs), this will forever be the state of gaming on Macs. It's not horrible, but it's not at all good, even compared to the "develop it 90% and then dump it on consumers and never finish it" behavior of publishers on the PC.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Any reasoning why NVIDIA cards won't work

Just speculation but I believe it is because the last official nVidia GPUs used in macs were the gt650m with insufficient ram (1 GB) in 2013 and the gt750m in 2014. While the gt750m is actually not much weaker than the current Radeon pro 450/455/460 I speculate performance would be worse and the publisher doesn't want to deal with complaints and negative ratings from those with the older hardware. While an old cheese grater can hold a powerful card I'm not sure if they can run 10.12.4. Obviously Apple doesn't not support Hackintoshes and would make it clear to developers to only support official hardware, in this case GPUs, on the Mac platform, even though we all know a Hackintosh with a 1080ti would deliver amazing performance. It is possible that there is some kind of work around for those with a Hackintosh, but I'm sure those folks have dual boot setups and use Windows for gaming anyway where this game has been available since October.
[doublepost=1494525287][/doublepost]
Even if I wanted to kill my Macs from GPU heat, I couldn't run this. Hearing that it's badly optimized on PC is depressing, too. It seems the game industry just doesn't care about anything other than consoles (which don't run reliably either, according to owners).

Still, it's better than the state of gaming on the Mac.

Until top GPU tech becomes small enough where it fits, uncrippled, in one of Jony Ive's thin-obsessed designs (this will probably never happen, because physics), or until Apple releases a pro Mac which accepts desktop GPUs (at a competitive price) AND updates OpenGL in Mac OS (Metal is nice and all, but cross-platform development goes better with platform-agnostic graphics APIs), this will forever be the state of gaming on Macs. It's not horrible, but it's not at all good, even compared to the "develop it 90% and then dump it on consumers and never finish it" behavior of publishers on the PC.

The gaming industry does care about PCs and some of the best games ever made have been PC exclusives with the exception of those eventually ported to the modern consoles after they had sufficient power. Keep in mind that multi-platform games are designed with the limitations of the PS4 and especially the XB1 (the lowest common denominator this gen). It also depends on the devs. Look at what Rockstar did with GTA V on PC. Even in the console world some devs don't just care about the money. Look at how beautiful and well-made Naughty Dog's and From Software's games like Bloodborne are. The answer is simple. Console games pay $40-$60 per game while PC gamers pay $50 and benefit from fast price drops and Steam sales. Not to mention the substantial pirating of games on PC. There are people who just buy a $300-500 GPU and never pay for a game and use private servers for multiplayer. This has been going on since before the Battlefield Vietnam era. Much like the App Store and Google Play, devs will go to where the money is.

Last edited:

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
i can finally test my brand new nvidia 1080 using this game in mac os sierra and my brand new 4k monitor
don't worry guys i have more than enough fire power to play this game in mac os

what is better a mac or a pc
the answer is simple
a hackintosh
[doublepost=1494652511][/doublepost]wait a f@#g minute, no nvidia support, did AMD has some sort of exclusivity for this game in mac os, maybe AMD are paying the bills so only their cards are the one being supported. man this is a low blow but then again i wouldn't worry so much, i'm sure there will be some way to play with Nvidia cards. trust me there is always a way. at least i don't have to pay for the game to find out if it works on a nvidia card or not

OEMPT

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
i can finally test my brand new nvidia 1080 using this game in mac os sierra and my brand new 4k monitor
don't worry guys i have more than enough fire power to play this game in mac os

what is better a mac or a pc
the answer is simple
a hackintosh
[doublepost=1494652511][/doublepost]wait a f@#g minute, no nvidia support, did AMD has some sort of exclusivity for this game in mac os, maybe AMD are paying the bills so only their cards are the one being supported. man this is a low blow but then again i wouldn't worry so much, i'm sure there will be some way to play with Nvidia cards. trust me there is always a way. at least i don't have to pay for the game to find out if it works on a nvidia card or not

I have a Mac Pro 5.1 8 core Xeon with a Gigabyte Radeon RX 460.... and the game doesn't load at all.

Contacted support and they just shrugged and said that Xeon processors were not supported with Metal and had to be a I5 or I7 (WHAT?) and that they could not set up a test rig with such a config... and that the drivers of the video card were not from apple (WHAT ???? ).

Xeon Westmere has an exact equivalent i7 consumer version, the xeons are just of higher quality a rated for server use, so I don't understand there claim.

The RX 460 is exactly the same ATI chipset as the Radeon Pro 460 encountered in the Macbook Pro, just with lower tdp. No aditional drivers are needed, nothing is changed to make it work. Clean Sierra install and the video card works with no add ons, kext file changes, etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.