Open XML converter not coverter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by questions, Feb 1, 2011.

1. questions macrumors member

I am trying to open docxs in word 2004 for mac. On my old iBook I had the microsoft Open XML converter which worked fine. I just download it on my newly acquired macbook and it only converts docxs to rfts. How do I get it to convert docxs to docs?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First off, my Windows-using colleagues can't tell the difference between a .doc file and a .rtf file. If you absolutely require a .doc file, then you must update Open XML Converter to the current version or download the current version directly.

3. questions, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

questions thread starter macrumors member

I just downloaded the latest version. The converted rtf files are missing text as well as pictures in the documents.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. Open XML Converter 1.1.8 is the latest version of the utility. You are correct that it converts to .rtf rather than .doc. I just tested the utility on a recent .docx file that I created. My test document is a letter that includes an embedded .jpg graphic and a couple of text boxes. The resulting .rtf converted document is visually identical to the source document when opened in either Word 2008 or Word 2004. When opened in Text Edit, the converted .rtf document does not display the embedded graphic and the text boxes are misplaced. Dollars to donuts, you are opening your converted .rtf documents in Text Edit rather than Word.

5. questions thread starter macrumors member