Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makiyoito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I just got a openbox macbook pro 17in in futureshop yesterday. It came in with a dead charger which I had to go replace.

It's my first time buying an openbox macbook and I m not sure where to look for things.

I downloaded coconut battery to estimate how old this laptop is and this is what I got.

picture4j.png

I don't really understand what it says since I m fairly new to mac and computers overall.

Is there a problem? Has the battery been charged alot of times already?

Thank you I m not sure where to post this and hopefully the right forum.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Looks like your battery is in tip-top shape! According to your screenshot, the battery had a 14% charge on it at the time, but still has 100% of its capacity. Where it says "battery-load cycles", that's how many times it's been recharged , so 8.

However, when you look closer at the screenshot, it says that the original capacity is 1,300 mAh, and the current capacity is 12,957 mAh. :confused: It's got 9.9x the capacity it used to? Something, I think, is seriously screwed up. How much battery life do you get out of it?

Makiyoito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Looks like your battery is in tip-top shape! According to your screenshot, the battery had a 14% charge on it at the time, but still has 100% of its capacity. Where it says "battery-load cycles", that's how many times it's been recharged , so 8.

However, when you look closer at the screenshot, it says that the original capacity is 1,300 mAh, and the current capacity is 12,957 mAh. :confused: It's got 9.9x the capacity it used to? Something, I think, is seriously screwed up. How much battery life do you get out of it?

I read on the battery post says coconut is messed up and it was suppose to be 13,000mAh.

Hope that clears up ><..

Because Coconutbattery is reporting the original capacity wrong. It's suppose to be 13000 mAh for the 17" uMBPs original battery capacity.

Original capacity is what the battery was deisgned for.

You're actually at 94% health, not 100%.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Well there you go. Looks like your battery is fine. I'm impressed that an 8 month old computer with 10 cycles still has that much capacity, but that's your gain!

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Well there you go. Looks like your battery is fine. I'm impressed that an 8 month old computer with 10 cycles still has that much capacity, but that's your gain!

Yep. Looks like whoever was using it had laptop plugged in to the AC almost all the time. 10 cycles is nothing. That battery is as good as new.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
I just got a openbox macbook pro 17in in futureshop yesterday. It came in with a dead charger which I had to go replace.

It's my first time buying an openbox macbook and I m not sure where to look for things.

I downloaded coconut battery to estimate how old this laptop is and this is what I got.

picture4j.png

I don't really understand what it says since I m fairly new to mac and computers overall.

Is there a problem? Has the battery been charged alot of times already?

Thank you I m not sure where to post this and hopefully the right forum.

The top section tells you the amount of "juice" your battery has. The bottom part tells you your battery's capacity; which is 100%

Habitus :apple:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yep. Looks like whoever was using it had laptop plugged in to the AC almost all the time. 10 cycles is nothing. That battery is as good as new.

Right, but that's bad for the battery (to leave it plugged in almost all the time). Which is why I'm surprised the battery is in such good condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.