OpenCL and GCD - Quo vadis?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Varmann, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Varmann macrumors member

I am a very satisfied owner of a MP 08 (2x2.8). I am a pure home user (linux at work), but since I am a rather dedicated media collector (big music & movie collection, as well being an amateur photographer), I saw the need for a high performing computer.

During the last 1 1/2 year I have used Handbreak to rip and convert the main movies in my dvd-collection to a more computer friendly H.264 format. Using Handbreak, my MP ran on 90-95% load on all 8 cpus for a total of 5 months - probably a pretty decent load for a home user.

However, except Handbreak almost none of my applications (CS4 etc) seem to take particular advantage of multiple cores, and the gpu mainly sits idle.

Anyone know about the status for OpenCL, Grand Central Dispatch and other means for using multiple cores/gpu?

With the introduction of SL I thought at least Apple would provide some fully optimized application as a proof of concept. But to me, it seem that the implementation seem to take some time, or have I missed some good parts?

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

With the launch of 10.6 Apple has given the platform for developers to utilize these performance enhancements.
    But, I am sure many existing apps need to be "optimized" a *huge* lot before GCD and / or OpenCL acceleration can be used...

It could be a while before the developers find it profitable to sell new versions of their apps.

I suppose it's the old dilemma: technology vs. cost.