OpenCL / Grand Central - Which apps them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by j-a-x, Aug 25, 2009.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

So Leopard will be here on Friday. I was wondering if anybody know if there are any apps out there that support OpenCL or Grand Central (or do apps even need to officially support these technologies for them to be useful?).

I am just curious because I want to know how whether I will really be able to take advantage of Snow Leopard the day it is released, or if it will be days/weeks/months before Developers start to take advantage of Snow Leopard's features.

One example is Aperture. It seems that Aperture would benefit greatly from OpenCL / Grand Central but unless Apple releases an update on Friday, I'm not sure whether I should expect to see any increase in performance.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I don't think GC needs to be specifically coded for, although I think it can help for some apps. OpenCL does need to be specifically coded for. Some of the built-in stuff might support it on Friday, but don't expect it in any other Apple software, or any 3rd party apps. It won't start showing up for at least several months, most likely.

3. vanc macrumors 6502

You need the new Object-C compiler with support for blocks. So you have to manually do that in your program.

4. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Nero is already using it for windows to make a record breaking encoding time, maybe toust would do the same thing

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

As I've said before, Toast would be really straining the grey matter if they figured out multithreading.

6. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

So does anybody know of any companies who are actively developing software to take advantage of these technologies?

Anybody want to speculate on what the first apps to take advantage of Grand Central / OpenCL might be?

I am hoping Apple releases a new version of Aperture in September that is 64-bit while taking advantage of the new Snow Leopard technologies.

7. doctoree macrumors 6502

I think many developers of pro software are working on implementing these new features. One concrete example is The Foundry in the UK. They are the makers of Nuke and they are working on a Open CL Version. Here is the blog post http://thefoundry.co.uk/blog.aspx#HPC1
    Generally the speedups under SL will be huge and this is why I think its a big deal. Where a MBP was a little bit too slow in the past, with Snow Leopard nowadays you can do incredible things on a high end MBP.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0