OpenCL, how much difference b/w the 9400M and 9600M GT? SL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, Aug 28, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

So how much difference in performance are you guys noticing in the UMBP between the 9400m and the 9600 gt cards for Snow Leopard? Is one substantially better than the other? Also is there ANY noticeable difference with OpenCL for normal everyday tasks [web surfing, ms office, quicktime, hd movies, etc]??

2. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Personally, I need a few days before making that call. I need some YouTube HD, Call of Duty and iTunes visualizer tests to see just how much of a difference it makes.

Honestly, I think it's an overall speed boost that us "normal users" will notice.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

OpenCL is written into an application that allows it to offload tasks to the GPU for processing.

Currently, there are a VERY limited amount of applications (i can't think of any that comes to mind that take advantage of openCL for osx yet)

4. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Yes, the point that ayeying made above has to be made clear: OpenCL needs to be taken advantage of by the coding of the application...it's not an instant speed boost.

Having said that, considering the 9400 is slower than the 8600 used in the previous non-unibody Macs, the 9600 would be a worthy investment if a) you're into gaming or b) OpenCL really takes off.

The latter has yet to be seen, but if you have the cash to be future proof, I'd go for it.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Anyone know if the built-in Apple apps are written for OpenCL?

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The 9600 is roughly twice as fast as the 9400, so Open CL enabled applications should run about twice as fast. Open CL is just a framework, and it will be some time before anything is written for it.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

OpenCL also relies on the "Cores" within the GPU, so I don't think it would be "Twice" as fast, faster, yes, twice... I'm not 100% sure. It could be 1.5 or maybe even 3.. Until OpenCL really takes off, we just don't really know.