Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and opencore as well. So far I have OCLP running on my flashed cMP 5,1 running Big Sur 11.2.3 and everything works perfectly. Now I have some software that requires windows to run and that's were I've been stuck. I tried following the guide here and on dortania to no avail. I changed the configplist in the OC folder as well as putting the exFat driver into the proper place, but everytime I restart to the bootloader, my windows usb does not show up as the guides say it would. If someone could please help I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
If you've included the ExFAT driver and created the USB installer according to the guide, then maybe you could try a different USB drive. Some drives boot better than others.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Running OC 7.9 and MacOS 12.3, I've been getting frequent "Hash missmatch" messages upon booting. Has anyone noticed a similar behaviour? I reinstalled 12.3 over the existing installation but the messages persist.

Hi all, same for me. never happened until today. 5 minutes ago the message appeared. OC 0.7.9 Monterey 12.3
any other feedbacks?

Same issue here. MacOS is reporting that disk5s2 has a hash error and MacOS should be reinstalled.

disk5s2 appears to be a synthesized disk from my main disk that contains the OS. disk5s2s1 is an APFS snapshot and the rest of disk5 appears to be related to the update.

disk0 which normally is my main disk with MacOS now shows as disk1 with OpenCore installed in the EFI partition.

The "hash mismatch" error has also been reported on supported Macs with earlier versions of Monterey. In our case, I wonder if the issue isn't caused by playing around with SecureBootModel.

Although the current recommendation is to use the VMM flag to update to macOS 12.3 and later (option 1 under macOS in post #1), I recently updated to 12.3 and 12.3.1 using the vanilla method (option 2) after reflashing a clean BootROM. Both updates were uneventful, and I have yet to experience the "hash mismatch" error.

TFSam

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2021
Hello! I'm new to mac forums. I'm running the Martin Lo Opencore version 0.7.7, macOS version 11.2.3 and 10.14.6, but I can't update the big sur version to latest (11.6.5) or monterey. please help!

Steve_Jones

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
The "hash mismatch" error has also been reported on supported Macs with earlier versions of Monterey. In our case, I wonder if the issue isn't caused by playing around with SecureBootModel.

Although the current recommendation is to use the VMM flag to update to macOS 12.3 and later (option 1 under macOS in post #1), I recently updated to 12.3 and 12.3.1 using the vanilla method (option 2) after reflashing a clean BootROM. Both updates were uneventful, and I have yet to experience the "hash mismatch" error.
I upgraded without the VMM flag and SecureBootModel set to default. BootROM was flashed about 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: prefuse07 and cdf

daitarn

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015
I have this problem with Boot-screen showing only on HDMI to which the TV is plugged, but not on DVI port where my monitor is.

MacPro 5,1, OpenCore v0.7.9, Sapphire Radeon RX 480 (not flashed).

Steve_Jones

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
I upgraded without the VMM flag and SecureBootModel set to default. BootROM was flashed about 2 weeks ago.
So I flashed my reconstructed BootROM, swapped to the backup disk I created this morning and redid the upgrade with only 1 drive, 1 monitor and my keyboard connected directly. Looks like the hash issue is gone.

The only strange part is immediately after upgrading to 12.3.1, I tried adding my iPad as a display. Previously it had never showed up as a display but after the upgrade it did. Unfortunately after adding it as a display, Finder crashed and I ended up having to force a shutdown. Right now I'm thinking that was the issue. I'll back my drive up before attempting that again.

jtgil

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
Hamburg
Hi everyone, I have a dual CPU cMP5,1 with Martin's OC 0.7.9 installed, currently dual booting Monterey 12.2.1 + W10 and no problems so far since starting using it with OC 0.7.6.

So I have been trying to use and install some Linux distros for testing for myself and I am unable to install due to errors during live booting from USB drive. I usually am competent enough and can fix the issues when it comes to MacOS or Windows myself with all the info here and elsewhere, but since Linux is quite new to me, I am lost as to where to start to solve this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Some info:

I have updated my OC EFI with the required OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi in drivers folder and enabled in config.plist in drivers section. Also, I have checked RequestBootVarRouting and LauncherOption are enabled.

I have tried Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro and I haven't been able to start or install neither of them.

This is the screens in order I get when trying to live boot Ubuntu:
tempImageUCAnPl.jpg

tempImagew0qpM5.jpg

tempImageMNJ8Lm.jpg

This is the screen I get when trying to live boot Mint:

tempImagepG0d6A.jpg

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
@cdf do we still need the ASPP-Override kext with OC 0.8.0? @Macschrauber do you mind doing a quick test without it? Much appreciated.

Last edited:

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
@cdf do we still need the ASPP-Override kext with OC 0.8.0? @Macschrauber do you mind doing a quick test without it? Much appreciated.
OC 0.8.0 has been delayed until next week. As far as I know, ASPP-Override is still required. As an alternative, it may be possible to use OC kext blocking instead, although the functionality has been underwhelming from the start (that's why we still need AppleMCEReporterDisabler for dual socket machines).

Reactions: TECK

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany

Why I am involved with testing 0.8.0? I don't have it available, yet.

I am just an open core user, I guess you are in OpenCore much more than me.

Will do it when available and of course, by request, I can run a test without it, but there are others out there what can do this also.

Guess this is the reason: If my open test rig will get a nvram / firmware brick by overrun with compressed kernel panic dumps in the nvram volume I don't even need to take the logic board out to desolder the spi flash.

1190F894-AC0C-4A20-811C-B000F9691135.jpeg

Maybe that's why pinging me.

btw: this is a 4.1 Board with still the original flash chip in, I did all my test runs with it and I flashed it a hundred times or more. Just want to know how far I can go with it before I need to replace the chip.

Last edited:

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Maybe that's why pinging me.
Yes, I remember you have a very flexible testing setup. I can build very easy the 0.8.0 package if you want to test it, but you can do it also in 2 minutes, as I posted publicly the instructions. Check the master branch build details, running this command will build the 0.8.0 binaries:
Code:
IGNORE_MTOC_VERSION=1 sh build_oc.tool

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Hi all,
If I followed everything correctly, in order to avoid NVRAM corruption during Monterey installation it would be better to start OC (or OCLP) with VMM flag enabled.

So is it correct if,

1. I boot with OC (or OCLP) from the EFI of the USB stick (on which config.plist is modified to enable VMM flag),
2. I install Monterey normally
3. When Monterey is installed and booted, I remove the USB stick
4. For all other boots, I boot with OC (or OCLP) on the EFI from my Nvme SSD (on which config.plist is modified to disable VMM flag)

Reactions: TimothyR734

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Hi all,
If I followed everything correctly, in order to avoid NVRAM corruption during Monterey installation it would be better to start OC (or OCLP) with VMM flag enabled.

So is it correct if,

1. I boot with OC (or OCLP) from the EFI of the USB stick (on which config.plist is modified to enable VMM flag),
2. I install Monterey normally
3. When Monterey is installed and booted, I remove the USB stick
4. For all other boots, I boot with OC (or OCLP) on the EFI from my Nvme SSD (on which config.plist is modified to disable VMM flag)

Some comments: When using VMM, make sure to have SecureBootModel=Disabled. Also, unless your graphics card gives you the native boot picker or you're using RefindPlus, switching between two instances of OC (rather than two configs) can be tricky (not to mention that proper blessing of OC is crucial for a successful macOS installation). Moreover, if you're concerned about NVRAM corruption, you should verify the health of your firmware chip (follow @tsialex's procedure or use @Macschrauber's tool). And just to be sure, you can also flash a clean BootROM before and after installing macOS.

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
After that you have the warning "A firmware reconstruction is needed to get your Mac Pro fully working." ;)

The MP51.fd is not a complete BootROM image, it's a generic partial image specifically crafted by Apple to be used for EFI upgrades via efiflasher. It's created without the NVRAM volume and just a partial MLB sector to not mess with any of your Mac Pro serials/hardwareIDs.

Flashing it to the backplane makes your Mac Pro completely unserialized, without any hardware IDs and without the hardware descriptor. The MP51.fd is just enough to boot a Mac Pro, but you won't have any serialization/hardware IDs and consequentially no iCloud/Messages/FaceTime logins since these depend on the hardwareIDs to id your Mac Pro with the Apple services.

Btw, you can't flash a MP51.fd and serialize the backplane with BBS, there are lot's of other hardwareIDs other than the System Serial Number that BBS don't add to the BootROM. A blank board bought from Apple only won't have SSN, but all other hardwareIDs, the hardware descriptor and the MLB sector are already present.
Thank you @tsialex for this valuable information

Kwashiorkor

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Hello there, this is my first post here, I have followed the Facebook Group for Mac Pro and OpenCore for a while but so far never jumped to install OpenCore. Until now.

I want OpenCore and the latest supported operating system on my Mac Pro. It is a 4.1 flashed to 5.1 running Mojave in the latest version on a 580 8GB and I would like to update it.

I have read a comprehensive guide on the web which made it seem to be rather easy and some problems here on the last pages.

Can anybody of you who recently made something similar please point me in the right direction as to what to do how and when or which guide to follow? Especially will I lose my data? I am familiar with SIP and how to disable it, I have a backup graphics card which has an Apple boot rom and will show anything from the get go. Would be very nice :) .

overshoot

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2018
Hi,

I am running the latest 0.4.3 opencore version with BigSur 11.2.3 on my MacPro 5.1 as of today.
I just had a dead GPU, GTX770, that was working great and had a friend selling me his XFX RX570 4GB for cheap so couldn't resist.
However I've just realized it might be the worth brand to get for macOS use as I've read.
I am getting a pinkish display + the resolution goes to 1600x900 whereas my monitor supports 5k resolution.

Is there any chance I can get it to work normally from your experience or I am good to resell it and buy another GPU?

I already tried the EDID override patch for the color but I wish to get a decent resolution back.

PS: the Bios was already changed to AMD Radeon RX570 4GB as the original bios was giving me no pictures on the DP and HDMI output.

Thanks!

NC12

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2020
Hi,

I am running the latest 0.4.3 opencore version with BigSur 11.2.3 on my MacPro 5.1 as of today.
I just had a dead GPU, GTX770, that was working great and had a friend selling me his XFX RX570 4GB for cheap so couldn't resist.
However I've just realized it might be the worth brand to get for macOS use as I've read.
I am getting a pinkish display + the resolution goes to 1600x900 whereas my monitor supports 5k resolution.

Is there any chance I can get it to work normally from your experience or I am good to resell it and buy another GPU?

I already tried the EDID override patch for the color but I wish to get a decent resolution back.

PS: the Bios was already changed to AMD Radeon RX570 4GB as the original bios was giving me no pictures on the DP and HDMI output.

Thanks!
The latest opencore version is 0.7.9 not 0.4.3

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
Hello there, this is my first post here, I have followed the Facebook Group for Mac Pro and OpenCore for a while but so far never jumped to install OpenCore. Until now.

I want OpenCore and the latest supported operating system on my Mac Pro. It is a 4.1 flashed to 5.1 running Mojave in the latest version on a 580 8GB and I would like to update it.

I have read a comprehensive guide on the web which made it seem to be rather easy and some problems here on the last pages.

Can anybody of you who recently made something similar please point me in the right direction as to what to do how and when or which guide to follow? Especially will I lose my data? I am familiar with SIP and how to disable it, I have a backup graphics card which has an Apple boot rom and will show anything from the get go. Would be very nice :) .
Follow this Guide. Do everything it describes. You do not disable SIP if you follow this guide. When you boot into Recovery, SIP is always disabled.

If you get in any trouble, you have a way to roll back to Mojave and ask here for help. To get relevant help, it is important to tell every detail about your hardware. Best place for this is in your signature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.