opened new MacBook to scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miami013, Feb 28, 2011.

1. miami013 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

hi and first time mac user - have been holding off on buying for months in anticipation of this refresh.

well, unpackaged my new 13" mbp and immediately noticed two scratches - one just left of the keyboard and the other just left of the trackpad.

they aren't huge scratches but are noticeable and of course now that I know they are there - seems like my eyes automatically focus on them

anyway, hate the thought of sounding petty, but at the same had to really do some saving to get this laptop. I realize that eventually it will get scratches but prefer that they be my scratches! lol

anyway, since I'm a first timer - is this typical and if not - would you return? I'm lucky enough to live in a city with an apple store.

thanks for reading...

2. Cr0nus macrumors member

Cr0nus

If that is the first thing you noticed after opening your $1000+ laptop, I would think you would continue to notice it every time you use it. I would just go in and get it replaced, laptops shouldn't come pre-scratched.

3. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

if you're not going to be happy with it, return it. I wouldn't settle for anything I wasn't 100% happy with.

4. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Return it. You dont wanna be dissapointed every time you use it.

5. cyberone macrumors regular

Return it immediately. Got a 6 1/5 years old PowerBook with not a single scratch. These things are built to last. Even if a cosmetic damage doesn't affect performance, it's disturbing. So exchange.

6. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Welcome to the Mac! :)

I agree with those who posted above. I don't think it's at all out of line to return it. Like you say, if any scratches are to be made on your new laptop, they should be yours. It's very possible to have laptops for years without scratching them noticeably -- on the top case especially (palm rest area). So scratches are not at all a given.

Don't even feel guilty, just go in, explain, and politely ask to exchange. I can't imagine they will give you any trouble, but if for some weird reason they do, well, you have 14 days to RETURN the laptop outright, so you could always do that and then buy another one. I doubt it will come to that though.

7. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

You purchased a new laptop, and right out the box, it should look NEW.

Return & exchange asap.

8. miami013 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

thanks all and appreciate everyones kind comments - returning things is not my favorite thing to do but as mentioned this will "bug"' me and on top of that, I plan on having this laptop a long while!

thanks again for the help....

susie

9. hajime macrumors 68030

Few years ago, I ordered a Mac Pro directly from Apple. When it arrived, it was full of scratches. I reported to Apple and they offered me an exchange or full refund. You better contact them immediately.