opened wrong site..will i be okay?

turnstylez18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Toronto, Canada
k i typed out videolan . com instead of videolan.org for the vlc player...
neways some pop up came up...to download a program to make my comp fast...obviously i DID NOT download it...

but usually when pop ups occur like this..they seem to never go away on windows....will i get pop ups now? or am i safe with a mac...

here's the link that gives info on the popup..it is called turbo pc pro

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/Cat-P.html

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
99.999999% of these are going to be windows based. As far as I know, there is no Mac spyware out there. You should have no worries. To disable popup windows, in Safari go to Safari-->Block Popup Windows (or hit CMD+K).

turnstylez18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Toronto, Canada
im on mozilla firefox....well i didnt download nething at all...i clicked cancel when it asked me...and it brought me to their page...

so it was just the popup that bugged...

as long as im fine and have nothing to worry about ill be okay

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
what does that mean..i dont get it
Software written for Windows cannot be run on OS X (not without some sort of virtualization program, anyway). So any spyware, malware, virii, etc that you may come across on the web WILL NOT run on your machine. So you have nothing to worry about.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
i'm still running windows and i haven't seen a popup for about 5 years now. use Firefoxes blocker. i also havent seen a banner ad after getting the ad block pro extension.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
i'm still running windows and i haven't seen a popup for about 5 years now. use Firefoxes blocker. i also havent seen a banner ad after getting the ad block pro extension.
I am still stuck on Windoze, too. (Not for long :D) I used to use Firefox, but I switched to Safari the minute it was put up for download. I don't think I've ever gotten a single pop-up. Safari is the best browser out there.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, on a Mac any popups you get will be annoying, but that's as far as they get. There's no danger (yet) of accidentally downloading viruses or spyware through an unwanted popup.

Even more fun are those popups with images made to resemble a Windows dialog box or control panel. The idea I guess is to trick you into clicking the popup by pretending it's actually a message from Windows. Well, on a Mac, if a Windows-style dialog pops up, you automatically know it's a fake... :p