Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Hi, i play minecraft on my mac and it runs fine on intel's integrated graphics (istat menus tell me it uses those and not my 330M. But sometimes when i quit the game my mac crashed and console is telling me this:

20-10-11 15:14:58,810 mdworker32: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

20-10-11 15:15:18,000 kernel: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
20-10-11 15:17:53,046 Dock: trying to take pid 180 out of fullscreen but it is not the current space

So... it uses intel but NVDA has a problem. Does anyone get what is going on?

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Sounds like a typical problem with Apple's autoswitching of GPUs.

When you launch Minecraft, it will switch from the Intel to the Nvidia, but sometimes there are problems switching one way or the other.

What i do to game is this...
get gfxCardStatus (3rd party software) so you can easily force on the GPU or the Intel graphics and not let it try to auto switch.
Before launching a game, I switch it over to the actual GPU (nvidia in your case) and after the game closes, if I don't need the nvidia anymore for what I'm doing, I stick it back to be Intel only.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Good thing Apple wants to stop using two GPUs in the future.

IMO it was never a good idea in the first place. I have an older Sony Viao with a dual GPU setup but thankfully it was switched by a physical switch instead of software. Back then it was a choice of using the Intel GMA950 and a Nvidia GeForce 7400 with a paltry 64MB of memory.

It was (and still is a great laptop) but a nightmare as far as display drivers go with dual video solutions to deal with. Often, Windows would fail badly from switching from the Nvidia hardware to the power saving Intel GMA chipset and the difference in battery life really didn't improve much at all.

Still using my 13" late '10 MacBook Pro with the Nvdia 320m. Sure it's not the best, but I'm happy to be without hardware headaches. :apple:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Probably a bug in the NVidia drivers. The NVidia drivers have been pretty shoddy as of late. One big reason Apple moved to ATI hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.