OpenGL ES 1.1 VS 2.0

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by lewis82, May 13, 2012.

1. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I'm totally new to iOS programming (I'm fairly new to programming as well, but I'm ready to face challenges) and I'm about to start developing a game for iPhone/iPad. Expect to see me often here :p :eek:

The game will be totally 2D, so I don't need any fancy features. I am tempted to use OpenGL ES 1.1 because I have read it is simpler (and I have access to a tutorial, which I believe is based on 1.1, correct me if I'm wrong). However Apple seems to push developpers to use 2.0 and their template for an OpenGL game is based on 2.0 (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Now which version do you suggest me? 1.1 because of the potentially smaller learning curve or 2.0 for the sake of compatibility?

If some of you recommend me the former, do you have a template that works in Xcode 4.3? The one available on the tutorial doesn't work; I tried to fix the two errors I got but the app doesn't launch in the simulator.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Here's my suggestions regarding OpenGL:

Don't use it. Holy crap is it complicated. Learning curve? More like a diamond wall dozens of stories high.

If you're making a 2D game, why not use something else? Like Quartz? Or Cocos 2D?

Personally, my next goal is a 3D game. I had originally planned on using OpenGL ES. I set about learning it and... I have no idea how anyone knows how to use it. Up to date documentation is hard to come by. Tutorials all but don't exist. So I decided to look around for something easier to use and found Ogre 3D. It seems have everything I wanted:

- runs on both iOS and Mac OS (what is the ES vs full crap with OpenGL?)
    - dozens of tutorials
    - extensive documentation
    - the license allows it to be used commercially for free
    - all the features I want (not that I want much... I'm just looking to make something that looks like it could have been on the N64 or GameCube.)

3. lewis82 thread starter macrumors 68000

lewis82

Thanks a lot for suggesting me Cocos 2D! It is perfect for what I want to do :) You just saved me a month or more of work xD