OS Neutral OpenGL or old Classic driver???

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by yoopea, Oct 14, 2013.

1. yoopea macrumors newbie

I'm trying to run a Classic game on my Mac. I've been running Chubby Bunny (an all-in-one version of Sheepshaver), but after installation, I've run into this error message:

The weird thing is, the disc I used for the game included a GL install, which seemed to be the latest version (1.2.1) that runs on OS 9. The following files are visible in my Extensions folder: OpenGL Engine, OpenGL Library, OpenGL Memory, OpenGL Memory, OpenGL Renderer, OpenGL RendererATI, & OpenGL Utility, so it seems like it should work.

I guess I could have a driver missing, but I have no idea where to find drivers that'll work for OS 9, since I'm running Snow Leopard on an Intel-based system.

Here are the details on my graphics card:
    [​IMG]

Can I get that driver somehow, or is it a problem with OpenGL?

I'm really at a loss here.

2. goMac macrumors 603

Chubby Bunny (or Sheepshaver) need to emulate OpenGL, and they don't.

3. WMD macrumors regular

SheepShaver only presents an unaccelerated video card to OS 9. No 3D graphics are possible. Even if it could feed the X3100 video directly in, there are no OS 9 drivers for video cards after 2004 or so.

4. 50548 Guest

You could try virtualizing OS X 10.6 and then confirm if if the checkbox "run in classic mode" is activated when you do a Get Info on the application...

5. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

What exactly is the game?

There may not be a solution via Sheepshaver, but if it has a Universal version, you may be able to get it running in 10.6 via Rosetta...or if there is a Windoze version available, you may be able to get it running via WINE.

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

10.6 doesn't support classic mode, which requires a PPC chip and won't work on Intel.

--Eric

7. 50548 Guest

Huh? 10.6 is the last to support Rosetta - of course Classic mode is possible there.

8. MichalM.Mac macrumors regular

MichalM.Mac

Nope. Last OS X to support Classic virtualization was 10.4 Tiger for PowerPC.

9. 50548 Guest

Ah sorry; you were talking about OS 9 - I was thinking about PPC support.

10. smoketetsu, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

smoketetsu macrumors member

smoketetsu

This option may actually be the best way to go actually. Especially if the game is for example.... anything Unreal Engine based including Deus Ex.

The Windows versions of those games allow better settings and have received lots more fixes both official and unofficial than the old Mac versions ever did. You can run them with DX9 renderers and optional high res texture packs such as the Deus Ex New Vision mod.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

I play Unreal Gold with DX9, graphics enhancement dll's (Using the FXAA tool; does HDR, bloom, etc. as well) and Unreal high res texture pack as well as openal enabled 5.1 positional surround sound.

With the Mac version I could hardly even get detail textures and music to work in either Unreal or UT'99.