Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
How do I check what version of OpenGL my chipset is running/supports? I have been told that Intel is bad with the support, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How do I check what version of OpenGL my chipset is running/supports? I have been told that Intel is bad with the support, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
System Profiler > Software > Frameworks

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
System Profiler > Software > Frameworks

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

Thanks.

1.8? I didn't think I was that far behind. ::sadness::

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Just figured out that I'm wrong. There is nothing about Intel that stops the support of OpenGL, it is all Apple. Does anyone know why they do this? I really like this computer, I really do. I know that the HD 4000 can do better than this, though, because people are able to play some of the same games on a Windows partition.

It's because the driver isn't "up-to-date" enough.

Any way I can fix this manually, like I would on my Asus?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
You're at 3.2 Not 1.8.

https://developer.apple.com/graphicsimaging/opengl/capabilities/GLInfo_1073_Core.html

The HD4000 isn't listed there. But that should give you an idea.

ScreenShot2012-07-13at72728PM.png

I was just going off of what somebody told me to go by. Look at that number next to OpenGL

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Is CK2 a native game for OSX? Or does it use Cider or something similar?

It's also possible they're not using the new OpenGL features in Lion. I see it lists 10.6.8 as supported, so this is likely.

No, no, it's native.

Here is what they said on their forum"

Yes, the issue is not with the power of the cards, since it works fine on PC. The problem is with the OpenGL drivers by Apple. They lack a lot of features compared to the PC versions. Apple does simply not prioritize games at all. We are working on improving the situation as much as we can, but it will take some time unfortunately. Try what AndrewT said in the meantime though, to disable terrain drawing in the settings file.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Looks like they're using compatibility profile (2.1) instead of core (3.2). It'll be up to them to re-write code on their end to make use of the new features.

It doesn't look like it uses OpenGL at all on windows.

Nope, it uses DirectX.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Nope, it uses DirectX.

And DX9 too by the looks of things. OpenGL 3.2 core is on par with DX10 feature wise. So there isn't any reason why they shouldn't be able to get it running well with a bit of work. Perhaps they have run into some driver bugs. But it's hard to tell what the issues are.

Fingers crossed all parties involved sort out the issues you're having :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.