opening a intel imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by billmister, Nov 26, 2007.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

Can some one please post up picture/video's or direct to a site on how to open my intel imac up? I purchased a WD internal Hard Drive and plan on getting it tomorrow. I want to know how to install it on my computer. I'm not new to opening computer and installing hardware (Was a computer tech support for IBM compatible computers).

After searching for a bit and reading the forum, i unpluged my computer and took it to my bed to examine it. According to my findings, i believe there are 5 screw (not flat head or star) that i need to take out in order for the back part of my imac to get apart from the front see thru plastic part. After looking at some pics on google i think i should be able to determine my internal hard drive.

Can anyone confirm if i need to take out those 5 screws under the imac, not the once to take out the ram, i upgraded my ram no problem.

And it would be much help to me to see pictures on take my imac apart and what to see and what to take out or cables to unplug and what NOT to unplug to install my new 500gig WD internal hard drive.

If unable to do so, many somone can direct me to a site with pics or video on how to do it. I saw one on a macbook... Macbook is different then imac.

Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

First off, which intel iMac are you using? Second, the hard drives in intel imacs are not user serviceable/I recommend finding a tech to do it for you.

3. thingamajigidid macrumors member

save your self the pain, and just connect an external hard drive..
    if you really don't wanna c it you can always velcro it.. to the back of the imac :rolleyes:

4. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

I got the one previous one to the new Black/silver imacs. what do i call it?.. Intel imac c2d?

Anyway i called apple store and spoke to the "genious" and told him, i wanted somone to install the hard drive but i wanted to do the installation of the Os the came with my computer so i can install the software that I want from the bundle. And he then told me that they don't do that. That i have to take it to s reputable service tech??? WTF???

Anyway i have a external hard drive. 500gig. I use it as time machine and other partition as storage... But I am interested in purchasing 500 gig internal... well i did, it's arriving tomorrow.

5. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

???? You do that?

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

ifixit.com

Just find you model and you will get step by step instructions.

7. thingamajigidid macrumors member

lol, nah i was kidding :)

but hey it could work..:D

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

9. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much.. Sadly mine is the intel imac previous to that one.:eek: I'll try the sites to check it out though. Thanks guys. I can't find any mac tech guys around here in Jersey... let me keep searching. Hey anyone in Jersey who has dont this before want to help a member out? :)

10. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

ok well my internal HD came in the mail today. I think i will go to radio shack and get computer tools. Like the torx keys and stuff. Also wonder if they have rubber cement. Because on the site it said that the temp sensor once removed needs to get put back using rubber cement or something. i don't know if taping it with regular scotch tape will hold later on.

11. tespio macrumors newbie

Installing a optical driver in my Imac 17" intel

Can some one please post up picture/video's or direct to a site on how to open my intel imac up? I purchased an Optical Drive. I want to know how to install it on my computer.

Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Carlos Tespio

12. PLin macrumors 6502

I've upgraded the hard drive on a white 24" iMac. Not sure if it's the same procedure as the 17" and 20", but it was pretty easy as long as you're careful.

1. Remove memory access door by using #2 Phillips
    2. Please iMac on its back, and remove the four screws at the bottom (adjacent to where the memory door came off)
    3. Lift the front case of the iMac off starting at the bottom (push memory levers in so they are not in the way)
    4. Disconnect the two cables near the camera board and then remove the front of the case completely
    5. Unplug the inverter cable, and remove two T6 screws and unplug the LVDS cable
    6. Peel off the tape at the left and right bottom of the LCD
    7. Remove four T8 screws on the left and right edges of the LCD (8 total)
    8. Remove LCD panel

Now you have access to the hard drive. Just transfer the bracket, temperature sensor, and cables to the new hard drive, and put everything back together and hope that everything works properly.

13. PLin macrumors 6502

Actually, the aluminum iMacs are harder to open, because you need to carefully remove the glass by using suction cups and pulling up on it. I've never opened one, but I'm curious how you get the glass back on. It would really suck if you put the iMac back together and a week later the glass just fell off and broke.

14. oldking2b macrumors newbie

I'm in the middle of replacing the hard drive in my 17" early 2006 (white) imac. Problem is that when I pulled up on the plastic bracket attached to the HD, it snapped.

Any ideas where I can get a replacement?

Glue isn't holding and Apple is insisting that I bring it it and pay them a bundle for an easy replacement part.

Thanks.