Opening a local web page on an iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LMB3, Jan 17, 2009.

1. LMB3 macrumors newbie

I am preparing to buy an iphone. I have been able to find answers to all my quesitons except one. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I maintain several web sites. They are very simple sites, just html and a little javascript window dressing. They contain photographs of items in my toy and sports card collection. I often need to refer to the photographs on the site while at collectible shows. I DON'T want to carry my laptop around anymore.

Since the web speed isn't always fast, and I may sometimes not get a signal, I want to copy the folder containing the site to the iphone, which I believe I should be able to do. However, I need to be able open the web site stored locally on the iphone in a browser, and I can't seem to find out if I can do that or not, or if there is an app that would allow me to do this. If I were on my PC, I would open up IE and put in a drive letter and path to the index.html file and the site would open locally. I want to do the equivalent with the iphone if that is possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lewis Brooks

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

If there is not a ton of photos (200+) then you can put them on the iPhone and not have to wait for a page to load. You can fit more than 600 photos on a 8GB iPhone, but if they are all in one album (folder) then it can be hard to find the right one. If you need to view them via the website, you will have to load it on Safari. There are currently only 4 other internet viewing apps out and none support what you want to do. There should be some coming out soon because Apple has recently widened the categories of apps and allow some that "mimic" core applications like Safari.

David