opening a new Finder Window using Dock Icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smogsy, Dec 28, 2009.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

Im hoping you can answer this question,

At the Moment if you press finder it opens a Window, Great. but if you press it again it will jump to the Same window, which is great 90% of the time.

Is there a way to set the dock Icon to automatically open a New Finder Window?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can also click once on your desktop or on the Finder icon on your Dock, then press Command+N for a new Finder window.

4. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I don't believe there is a way and there shouldn't be in order to conform to the way the Dock works. The Dock opens applications when they are not already opened so clicking on the icon shortcut in the Dock should not open a new version of the application, in this case you are taking about Finder. If the application is already opened then clicking on it will just make that application active and be on top of other applications.

Getting a new Finder window is really simple and quick to do. When you have Finder active, just use the keyboard shortcut Command N or right click the icon in the Dock or go to the File menu in Finder and select that option. I prefer the keyboard shortcut.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The reason why the OP wants this is because Windows always opens another window once an icon is clicked. It's habit.

HOWEVER, with Windows 7 and their dock, I mean taskbar, it works like Mac OS X's dock where you have to either right click the Dock or Command-N your windows.

6. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have been using Mac for Years, its just this one thing that really bugs me i think CMD+N is probably the way to go.

or maybe go back to Mucommender that has 2 windows in one.

7. daftlush macrumors newbie

Use Better Touch Tool (you should be using it anyway) to bind command-N to whatever you like. I use double tap top middle.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

9. JaKXz macrumors newbie

Still looking for a solution, OS X Mountain Lion

There should be a modifier (like option-click) which opens a new finder window upon clicking the finder icon.

note: option-click hides the windows of the app, which is also handy.