Opening a new instance of OSX on the same Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by appleperson1, May 21, 2013.

1. appleperson1 macrumors member

Hi,

I can't even really figure out how to phrase this query, so I will describe my issue. I have a macbook pro that I use for everything. I also want to use it to do some writing, but it's hard to write when I can still access everything else easily - the web, movies, music, etc. So - I want to be able to log in to a completely separate and almost empty instance of osx so I can JUST be typing - nothing else.

I guess even just opening the computer up and only ever seeing a wordprocessor would work. As if it were a typewriter...

So - does anyone have thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks!

2. appleperson1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I found those apps, but I am really looking for something that will make sure I can't just alt-tab over to something else. I don't trust myself enough just to use a minimalistic app!

Any thoughts?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not unless you want to have two OSX partitions on your HDD /SSD.

That's about the only way I can think of to achieve this, and ALT+TAB won't work...It would mean a re-boot between the two.

4. simsaladimbamba

Create a new user and set the Parental Controls and only allow one or two applications to be used.

5. SMDBill macrumors 6502

Are you referring to "new instance" of OSX along the lines of the virtual workspace available in Linux where you can be looking at/using your desktop and hit a keystroke (CTL + right arrow or similar) and go to a new desktop that appears like no applications are currently running but all apps are available to use just like the original desktop, while all your applications previously open and in use are still running on the other desktop?

6. appleperson1 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah - that sounds about right. No knowledge of Linux stuff - but it sounds good. Is there that for Mac?

7. SMDBill macrumors 6502

8. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I second this. A new user account that you log into, in which you can only access one app and no internet would be the way forward. Virtual Desktops or VMs of OS X are completely unnecessary.

9. SMDBill macrumors 6502

Very true. I mis-read the question the first time and thought the OP was asking about needing a clear workspace without all the other apps that may be open appearing. Wanting to self limit to one application is more of a personal issue over self control to not be distracted by the availability of other software so I'll defer to others to help with that part.

10. appleperson1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for the help all. Greatly appreciated.