Resolved Opening a new window in a separate "space"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by daihard, Nov 8, 2011.

1. daihard, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Hi.

I would like to be able to open a new instance (i.e. "window") of an open application in a separate space (i.e. "virtual desktop"). For instance, let's say I have my first terminal window open on my 1st space, but I am currently on my 2nd space. Now if I click "Command + N" to open a new terminal window, it takes me back to the 1st desktop. Instead, I would like to stay on the 2nd space and have the new terminal window open right there. Is it possible?

I looked for an option like that in the System Preferences, but to no avail.

TIA!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im new to mac so excuse my ignorance when you say space but do you mean a new desktop? you can open mission control and move open windows to the desired desktop if thats what you want

3. kevin2i macrumors member

As far as I know, you will have to drag it to a new desk top. On a MBP, if you have 3-finger drag enabled, just put the mouse on the title bar, and with 3 fingers on the track pad, option+arrow to another space (yes it takes 2 hands, but faster than going to mission control).

(easier) on a desk top (mac pro) just click and hold the title bar and hit opt+arrow. This works on a MBP with trackpad only if 3-finger drag is disabled.

Occassionally I seem to be able to just drag a window to the next space (similar to linux) - but this doesn't work consistently - or maybe this was lost with 10.7.2

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good post, how do you add a new desktop without opening mission control?

5. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

Yes, I mean a new desktop. I know that I can drag an existing app instance to a new desktop as kevin2i explained, but I don't want to have to do that. It will be a lot easier if I can just switch to a new, empty desktop and start opening new instances of an open application.

BTW I use a magic trackpad and have 3-finger dragging enabled. It works extremely well. :)

----------

I believe kevin2i meant "going to a new desktop" with Option + Arrow. You can do the same with 4-finger side swiping, which I usually do to move between desktops.

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

"Desktops" are only a function of Lion; Leopard and Snow Leopard had "spaces", and there was no "Mission Control".

7. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

Right click the applications icon in the dock. Choose "New window" and a new window opens in the current desktop even if another window of the application is already open in a different desktop.

8. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

Thanks! That works. I wish there was a way to do the same using a keyboard shortcut as I am a keyboard person, but this is good enough for now. :)