Opening a non-Apple application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TraHoang14, Nov 9, 2014.

1. TraHoang14 macrumors newbie

Ok so I'm relatively new to the Apple world and recently bought an iMac. I am taking an online course which is needing me to download an application in order to take a quiz without allowing other applications to be open at the same time. My professor labeled this a "high-stakes" assignment.

My problem is that after downloading the file for my quiz, it still won't actually open and gives a message about how this application is from an unknown developer and Apple doesn't allow this. I went through the steps to bypass this but still have not been successful. Does anyone know of any other tricks or able to point me in the right direction? Thanks for your help! :)

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should be able to get it to launch by right clicking then select open and you will get a warning you can bypass.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

If you trust the developer, the app and the site from which you downloaded it, then go to the Apple Menu, System Preferences, Security & Privacy, un-click the padlock, and select "Allow downloaded apps from Anywhere".

There is a risk to this setting, so I'd recommend restoring the setting to "Mac App Store" or "Mac App Store and identified developers" once you've run your downloaded program.

The risk is that the world is teeming with innocent-looking software that contains malevolent threats to your data, your identity and your computer. These are called Trojan Horses for obvious reasons, and they are the sole source of malware on OS X so far (and, recently, a flavor of these which uses the Mac to attack iDevices when they're connected was identified). So be picky about what you download and install. In particular, watch out for "free" versions of costly commercial software that you might find on warez sites or even seemingly legitimate sites. If it's too good to be true, it probably is, and nowadays it might harbor some really bad stuff inside.

Computer security ultimately is no better than the wetware sitting at the keyboard. So be careful.

5. TraHoang14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. It worked great for my quiz. I went ahead and switched back to a more secure setting now but I'll know for the future! Thanks again!

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Also check out post #3 in the thread. You can start these types of applications that way without having to drop the security settings.