Opening already open applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stenoboy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. stenoboy macrumors newbie

I'm confused with this AppleKey+tab thing to open an already open program. If there is an open window on the desktop and I use the AppleKey+tab to open another window, it doesn't work. It only works on an empty desktop - is this right?

How can I get to another open program without having to click on the icon in the dock, or isn't it possible?

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Not really sure what you mean but I'll give it a shot.

If, for example you have Safari open and you want another copy of Safari open you press CMD N and another copy will open. Of course you can just create a new tab with CMD T but CMD N this will open a new copy of the program. Same for a lot of apps.

Is this what you mean?

Actually, on re-reading your message I think you're talking about getting to a program that's already running without having to click the icon. I'm not sure what the keys are but if you have a Mighty Mouse, you can just click the scroll wheel and the list of running programs will pop up on the screen, like Alt Tab does in Windows. And if you don't have a Mighty Mouse, I'm sure you can map the press of the scroll wheel to do the same thing. Just go to Preferences.

Cheers.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Apple-Tab to the program and then usually Apple+n for a new window of that program.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you trying to switch windows in an already open application, instead of switching applications? The shortcut you need, in that case, is :apple:+` (the backtick symbol, located below Escape on most keyboards).

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think he means switching back to an application with no open windows (that is he has closed all the windows using the red button)

Two solutions

1) Don't close windows, hide them using apple+H. Then when you apple+Tab back to the application the window will re-appear

2) If you apple+tab to a closed application, follow that with apple+n to open a new window.

6. stenoboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Great replies, thanks, guys. Sorry I didn't word it too well. The key to my problem was I wasn't using the hide function. I thought just 'closing' the program with the red X on the top left of the window kept the window open somewhere, but actually closed that window but the program remained running.

Thanks for helping out and clearing up my confusion. The key is to forget absolutely everything that Windows does and approach it with a fresh virginal mind. :)