Opening already opened Microsoft Office Documents in Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daveyus, Mar 25, 2014.

1. daveyus macrumors newbie

Hi,

We are currently working with both Apple and Microsoft products and the problem we're experiencing is when a document is opened in Windows it cannot open in OSX.

It just simply says that the document cannot be opened.

What i previously heard is that you could change settings in for example, an office document for automatically backing up your document. After searching for answers i'm still lost.

Is there anything i can do on OSX side?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Did you leave out some information? Is my guess correct that you're talking about Macs and Windows machines on a network where the documents in question are stored on a central server? If so, then I think it's normal that only one person can have the file open at a time.

3. daveyus thread starter macrumors newbie

All files are stored on a single server, but opened files in OSX can also be opened from a Windows Client. It's just that when a file is opened in Windows you literally can't do anything to change or read it. Reading is enough and in Windows that's possible. Just not on OSX.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

It's probably running on a Microsoft server and there is some feature that OS X doesn't support.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Once you look at the server file do a Get Info on the file and change the permissions so everyone can read and write the file.

6. daveyus thread starter macrumors newbie

But does that "Get Info" Solution automatically sets it as a standard for all documents? And when trying that it gives me the report i don't have permissions to do that.

I'll try to work this solution out in Windows.