Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
So my Mac mini is old, but still runs great. I have my iTunes on a 2TB external hard drive and I was thinking ahead into the future. Now when I replace my Mac mini with a new one, I heard I can just plug my 2TB hard drive, hold option and open iTunes to then pick my external hard drive.

So today for fun I logged under another user on the computer that doesn't have any iTunes on it. So I clicked option then opened iTunes. It asked me to chose a library, but when I clicked the iTunes library on the external hard drive it just said "iTunes files can't be found". Am I doing something wrong? I just want to be ready for when I do get a new Mac mini.

This is what I did
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589

Thank you

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
So my Mac mini is old, but still runs great. I have my iTunes on a 2TB external hard drive and I was thinking ahead into the future. Now when I replace my Mac mini with a new one, I heard I can just plug my 2TB hard drive, hold option and open iTunes to then pick my external hard drive.

So today for fun I logged under another user on the computer that doesn't have any iTunes on it. So I clicked option then opened iTunes. It asked me to chose a library, but when I clicked the iTunes library on the external hard drive it just said "iTunes files can't be found". Am I doing something wrong? I just want to be ready for when I do get a new Mac mini.

This is what I did

Thank you

So you store your iTunes library (.itl file) on the external? I find that unlikely.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
So you store your iTunes library (.itl file) on the external? I find that unlikely.

Not unlikely at all. My entire iTunes library is stored on an external hard drive connected to a Mac mini. I can open it as another user or even from another computer.

This is what I did

Thank you

Without knowing more about your setup, I would guess your media files are stored on the external but the iTunes database files may still be under the user home directory on the boot drive.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around

This is why I asked am I doing something wrong, because I am sure I am. So are those the files I need then? I think I did see these type of fines inter user/music/iTunes (I think, not at my computer right now but I can check when I get home).

Not unlikely at all. My entire iTunes library is stored on an external hard drive connected to a Mac mini. I can open it as another user or even from another computer.

Without knowing more about your setup, I would guess your media files are stored on the external but the iTunes database files may still be under the user home directory on the boot drive.
I have all my iTunes media stored on an external hard drive. So under advance I changed the route where to put all my iTunes stuff to the external hard drive.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

True, but the default is still in the Music folder and I suspect OP will change that. If he did he wouldn't say "I clicked the iTunes library", which sound like he just clicked the folder contain his musics.

----------

This is why I asked am I doing something wrong, because I am sure I am. So are those the files I need then? I think I did see these type of fines inter user/music/iTunes (I think, not at my computer right now but I can check when I get home).

Usually it's in Music/iTunes. Looking for the file with .itl extension when you're asked to Choose Library...

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
True, but the default is still in the Music folder and I suspect OP will change that. If he did he wouldn't say "I clicked the iTunes library", which sound like he just clicked the folder contain his musics.

----------

Usually it's in Music/iTunes. Looking for the file with .itl extension when you're asked to Choose Library...
I see it, so what would happen if I moved this? I'm sorry, I just figured all this stuff should be in the area where the actual music is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.