Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uma888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Hi, Id like to see what makes my iMac tick, anyone know if there are any instructions on how to open the iMac? I dont wanna unscrew the wrong thing lol

Ill try n get some hi res pics aswell

Ty for your help

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
I don't think one can open the iMac G5 iSight. Unlike previous models, the iSight only has a little hatch underneath that allows memory to be upgraded. The case is sealed. I like mine (Ambient Light Sensor), because I can take the whole back off it. :D

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
hopejr said:
I don't think one can open the iMac G5 iSight. Unlike previous models, the iSight only has a little hatch underneath that allows memory to be upgraded. The case is sealed. I like mine (Ambient Light Sensor), because I can take the whole back off it. :D

he's right, the opening of the newest iMac revision as been restricted, it's no longer anywhere near as simple to get at the inside do to things like swap hard drives

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
.... nah, no worries - crack that baby open and take some pics.

We're interested in:-

Is in-built 512Mb Memory actually soldered in or just tricky to replace?
How easy to change the hard drive?
Is the PCI-e graphics card built-in or replaceable?

:eek: (you may want to check with Apple to ensure you're not going to invalidate you warranty)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Always read the manual!

From the iMac G5 (iSight) manual [iMacG5-iSight-Users_Guide.pdf]:

Warning: Do not attempt to open your iMac G5. If your iMac G5 needs service, consult the service and support information that came with your computer for instructions about how to contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for service. Your iMac G5 does not have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory.

Uma888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Danksi said:
From the iMac G5 (iSight) manual [iMacG5-iSight-Users_Guide.pdf]:

Warning: Do not attempt to open your iMac G5. If your iMac G5 needs service, consult the service and support information that came with your computer for instructions about how to contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for service. Your iMac G5 does not have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory.

i read that aswell

:confused:

ill still give it a go

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Uma888 said:
i read that aswell

:confused:

ill still give it a go

I've just spoken to Apple Support and they made it quite clear the only thing you can do with the iMac iSight is upgrade the memory. :(

EDIT: In her words "you could open the imac only if you are performing a memory upgrade, apart from that we do not suggest you to open the iMac for any other repairs.."

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
This page shows an iSight iMac being taken apart. It doesn't really explain how to do it, but at least you will have an idea of where to start and where you are headed, and what wires you might want to watch out for and not rip out and stuff...

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
iMeowbot said:
This page shows an iSight iMac being taken apart. It doesn't really explain how to do it, but at least you will have an idea of where to start and where you are headed, and what wires you might want to watch out for and not rip out and stuff...

So looking at those pics, the built-in memory could be accessible fairly easily - at least to determine whether it's fixed/soldered in place.

It's a shame there's white writing over the memory area.

EDIT: To add some confusion, the Apple support page suggests you can replace the internal devices - link from the iMac iSight support page. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86812

pongopete

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2007
You can open up imac g5 isight

Just replaced the harddrive in my g5 isight.The old drive died after after knocking the computer off of my desk.I replaced the drive with an s ata hitachi deskstar have just got it up and running I decided to have a go after reading this forum. You need to take your time I dont think Apple designed this machine with user upgrades in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.