opening an iphoto 09 library on iphoto 11

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jg216, Aug 21, 2012.

1. jg216 macrumors newbie

I just got a new macbook and have a question.
    On my external drive I back up my iphoto library from my previous computer which had iphoto 09 installed.
    I want to sort of start fresh with my new library, but if i chose to open my old iphoto library on my new laptop what would happen to the collection? would it open like normal and be upgraded to iphoto 11?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It needs to upgrade the library, but will be fine. If you're worried, make a copy of it, and just FYI you won't be able to open it with previous versions of iPhoto after the conversion.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

If you really want to "start fresh" you could open the library with the Finder and reimport all the photos into a new, iPhoto 11 library.

But why? You'd lose all the info you added, crops, faces, keywords, etc.

I would imagine Migration Ass't will automatically move it for you and iPhoto will upgrade the library in the process or when you first open iPhoto.

And check out iPhoto Library Manager if you want some more control over your libraries, especially if they are growing too large for easy portability.

4. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

I've just done exactly this with my new MBP.

The first time you open iPhoto 11, it will offer to import older libraries, and convert them to the latest format.

I'm not sure what the technical differences are, but my photos looked exactly the same!