Opening and moving .inprogress files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bsneezy09, Mar 24, 2011.

1. bsneezy09 macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm a newbie to the MacRumors forum!

I did a time machine backup for my Macbook Pro in December and for some reason it didn't fully backup and the Macbook's hd didn't remount, causing it to crash. When I did a show package information, all of my documents and programs were saved. However, whenever I try to move the documents I receive a "incorrect case sensitivity" message.

I want to use the files that were backed up and transfer them to my computer. Is there a way that I can do this? How do I get rid of the "incorrect case sensitivity" message?

2. cxc macrumors member

anybody please can help with this.
    I lost everything I created in 4 yrs just yesterday to such a tm error.

Thank you!

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just to check the most obvious possible cause, was the drive actually formatted as "Case Sensitive" either before or after the crash? If you changed the case sensitivity I assume it could cause such an error, although it's also possible that some unrelated issue generates this error incorrectly.

When you're first formatting a drive, there's a little popup that defaults to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"; if you selected "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)" from the popup, that would have done it. This is, incidentally, a bad idea unless you really know what you're doing and why you'd want a case-sensitive filesystem.