opening .cfm documents

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfanMAW, Apr 30, 2007.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

Is there a program for mac that can do this? Because i'm taking an online course from BYU and when i need to print the cover sheet it downloads as a .cfm document :/

thanks for the help!

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

no its a .cfm and it is suprising to me it doesn't want to open in anything because the website said it was mac and windows friendly. all it should be is a coversheet of my name course access code and stuff like that. Nothing too big or complex

4. Queso macrumors G4

OK, I've done a bit of research and apparently both Safari and Firefox should be able to open it as well as other Web browsers. The file type relates to Adobe ColdFusion.

Link

So drag the file into Safari and see if it opens.

5. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

that's strange. never noticed that before.

i searched for a .cfm file and found one. tried to drag it to firefox without luck.

so i figured i'd copy it and change the "open with" on the copy to set it to open in FF.

i would've thought that the info on the two files would've been the same -- BUT IT'S NOT!

why would that make a difference?

6. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah this is really confusing me. I mean how complicated can it be? and it is being used by an online course college.

7. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

cfm is a page containing ColdFusion code, and would require a ColdFusion server running on the machine you're trying to open it from in order to display properly. Did you try saving the file from a school server to your local disk? If so, try opening it from the server you downloaded it from, and not locally.

8. hopejr macrumors 6502

if it was saved from the server through a web browser, rename it to a .html file and see if that helps.

9. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

no it was saved directly from my computer from byu.edu (or close to thats) website. I tried the renaming it to html and it did open in a safari browser but it was a few lines of code and not a cover sheet

10. Michelin.Ext macrumors newbie

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This might be old news but lemme add some prev experience here.

As already stated, .cfm is the file extension for Cold Fusion documents. .cfc are Cold Fusion Components, etc.

In order for them to run you need a Cold Fusion Server. To open and look inside they open with textedit just fine. To actually view them they do require the server to process the scripting inside them.

Consider them as .jsp, or .asp, etc. Both Java Server Pages, and Active Server Pages, as well as .net .aspx, all require some server side processing to render them.

You can try changing the extension but you'll end up seeing a lot of :

<cfquery name="myquer" datasource="mydatasource"> or <cfhttp value=""> etc etc that your browser cannot parse or understand.

Not to mention some programmers will use a sort of 'fusebox' methodology where as the .cfm page only has script tags that call other components for user interface rendering. In other words the page is pretty empty and the actual contents are generated and processed from other pages, then streamed back to the .cfm page to be viewed in the browser. So you'll have a page like 'myaccount.cfm' and all that's on it is <html><body><cfMyTag name="AcctInfo" value="Return"></body></html> and that's it. The actual coding behind the cfMyTag actually does the generation of content.

Last I checked there was no "OSX" version of the cold fusion server. The old school Cold Fusion Studio typically came with a single user license server for local development and testing but was mainly for Windows. When Macromedia bought out Allaire, they did away with CF Studio and went with Dreamweaver yet the CFServer was still available. At that time, CFServer was available for Unix, Windows, and almost Linux. Now that Adobe bought out Macromedia, the tool for development is still Dreamweaver but the CFServer I don't believe has yet migrated to the OSX platform even though the CF programming now is still sorta script based but more J2EE compliant.

Soo, short story, AFAIK no there is no way to 'run' the cfm document. Only thing you can do is view them in a text editor and sift through the HTML/Javascript/Cold Fusion scripting tags to see the content.

12. teluguman macrumors newbie

Think I figured something out...

Hey guys,

I recently ran into the same problem - trying to open a one page document that I downloaded from AMCAS for med school applications as a .cfm file. On Leopard, I was able to "Quicklook" the file.. which led me to think that preview should be able to open it. So I just changed the file type to a .pdf instead of .cfm, and it opened up perfectly in Preview.

Obviously this probably won't work for all types of .cfm documents, but I feel like it will work when you know that it should be a text document.

Lemme know if this works for you too...

13. mkestotz macrumors newbie

change file extension

I downloaded a spec sheet in .cfm, I simply changed .cfm to .pdf and it opened no problem

14. adamsd22 macrumors newbie

.cfm

yes, i just had this problem..i just changed the .cfm to .pdf and it opened ..thanks for that advice!

15. sns2468 macrumors newbie

Changing file extension

This worked for me too. I changed the extension to pdf -- opened with no problem! Thank you! :)

16. scottfullen macrumors newbie

.CFM Problems

I am running Windows Vista in VMware Fusion on a MacBook Pro and had the same problems opening .CFM pages from our corporate Intranet in IE. I figured out the problem was that I didn't have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. Once I installed and associated .CFM files with it, everything worked great.

17. jonnyt819 macrumors newbie

Opening cfm file on Mac

Right click the cfm file and click "Get Info" ... The slender info box will pop up, and towards the middle of that box is the "Name and extension" field. The name and extension in that field can be changed, so just delete the extension (.cfm) and put in what type of document you want it as (i.e. *.pdf, .doc, etc).

Hope this helps!

18. nestorlv macrumors newbie

it works

ok, you can change the extension and open the file with adobe reader 9, or you can force open when it asks you to select the program to open the file by choosing Adobe Reader 9