Opening DVD contents always opens new windows each time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by higgalls, May 17, 2012.

1. higgalls macrumors regular

Hey,

Something has been bugging me about Mac OS for so long, and I am not sure whether it is just an issue I am having, or whether it is normal.

Basically, whenever I browse through the hard drive in Finder, it works all in the one window. So if I double-click a folder in finder, it will open it in the same window.

However, I find when I browse the contents of a DVD that it is quite different - every time I go to open a new folder within the DVD, it will open that folder in a completely new finder window.

Is there any way to get DVD's to just use the one finder window, rather than opening a separate one for every double-click I make?

Hope this makes sense.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

That doesn't happen for me. What version of OSX are you running?

3. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

:S

This has driven me crazy for quite some time. Not sure why it is happening. I tried searching on google for it but couldn't find anything.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

There is an "Always open folders in a new window" option in the finder preferences - you might check that..

5. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I have already checked that - it isn't ticked. If it had of been ticked it would have affected all my folders - not just the one for my DVD.

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I figured as much.. Maybe try creating a new user and see if the problem repeats with that new user account. If it does not repeat, the there is probably some obscure setting in a plist file somewhere. If that is the case, in each of the accounts, you can use the terminal command:

defaults read com.apple.finder

and look for differences.