Opening Encrypted .rar files with UnRarX(i have the password!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maccarthyconor, Oct 4, 2009.

1. maccarthyconor macrumors newbie

I have a rar file wich is encrypted. I know the password. i try to open it using 'UnRarX', but it fails with the following error message:

UNRAR 3.60 beta 6 freeware Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Alexander Roshal

Enter password (will not be echoed) for Rviolin1.part8.rar:

Encrypted file: CRC failed in /Users/maccarthyconor/Downloads/Rviolin1.part8.rar (password incorrect ?)
    No files to extract

I never got a chance to enter the password, and cant find a place to input it.

help me!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It looks like UnRarX has a slightly odd procedure for dealing with password-protected files...

http://www.unrarx.com/faq.html

Is this what you're doing?

3. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

You can also update the version of unrar it is using by downloading the command line unrar from RARlabs, showing package contents of unrarx, going to resources and replacing unrar with the one downloaded

4. viborg macrumors newbie

Xapphire13 I appreciate the informative reply. However, I was having the same issue as the OP and your suggestion didn't solve the problem.

I did figure out what's causing it though. I was trying to use UnrarX from a standard account, and not an admin account. It's only when I'm logged in as admin that the password option appears on the UnrarX toolbar.

5. slim tim slide macrumors newbie

what is an admin account?

I have the same problem, what do you mean by an admin account? my UNRARX application is located in my Applications folder (OSX10.6.6) and I don't 'log in' I just click it an it opens - without the toolbar! HELP!

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a