Opening iPhone 3G = direct Warranty loss?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yoomy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. yoomy macrumors member

I have some rough edges between the chrome and the plastik. This would be easily fixable if I open the iPhone Case and go over the sharp edges a few times. Now my question is, is there anyway that Apple can see wether I opened it or not? I would not take apart the Display, just open the screws and lift it up far enough to reach the plastik sides.

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

If it's bad enough for you to want to modify it, why not just take it to an Apple store and see if they'll swap it for a smooth one? You shouldn't have to risk voiding your warranty with such modifications if it was assembled poorly.

3. yoomy thread starter macrumors member

Because I already went through 3 exchanges to finally get a decent looking screen. It is not build poorly, just not perfect, and it could be perfect with very little effort.

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if you open it you void your warranty automatically.

just swap it again. or live with it.

or open it if you want. its your choice.

5. yoomy thread starter macrumors member

the question is if apple can actually see if someone opened the screws or not.

6. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

I'm guessing that if it took you 3 iPhones plus time to go return them to the genius bar to find a screen you liked, you're not going to be happy with hundreds of cases. Or perhaps you could be a little less anal and accept the product as is when comes out of the box.

7. Mr. Brown macrumors member

I wouldn't try to open that thing. Live with it or swap it for a new one. Again.

8. yoomy thread starter macrumors member

Here in germany we dont have a genius bar, AppleCare picks up my iPhone and replaces it about 4 days later. My first iPhone couldn't read any simcard, it was defective out of the box. My second iPhone had a huge yellow tint, like someone had peed all over it. Was way more yellow than any other iPhone 3G I ever saw. My current one has a real nice screen and the build quality is ok. I am not going to let go of it, even though it has the light leak issue and a few sharp edges. That is why I would like to fix those sharp edges, which can be done easily.

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

OP, i understand why you would want to file the edges down. don't quote me on this, but i am pretty sure that they cannot tell if you have opened the casing, i am not certain though. i doubt that apple would bother putting a VOID sticker or any other marking on it to indicate that it has been opened. if a genius opened it to perform a quick fix, then that woud render your warranty void so i doubt it:cool:

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

2 exchanges and I would have been done with the iPhone alltogether. People are lowering their own standards of satisfaction just to keep the iPhone 3g. I would take it back again, you should get what you paid for.

11. Clyde099 macrumors regular

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if you can feel the sharpness with your fingers, it means there is enough there to smooth down without having to open the case. I had sharp edges on the speaker holes. I used a jeweler's rouge cloth and rubbed the phone across it a bunch and the edges are no longer sharp. It absolutely does not harm or mark the plastic or chrome in any way...in fact it's also a great way to take scratches out of the chrome.

Caveat: my phone is black. I don't know if it would discolor a white phone.

[​IMG]

13. yoomy thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't that cause small scratches to the chrome? The rough edges are very minor, so it is hard to really pinpoint them 100%. So I would be afraid to harm the chrome.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

huh? did you not read my post??

a rouge cloth is meant for polishing jewelery..silver and gold metals. it turns out the chrome trim is pretty soft and polishes just like gold. the cloth itself is very soft.

15. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Can it be used to polish the chrome, too?

j/k ;)