Opening .ISO with Quicktime ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brasiliangringo, Oct 8, 2009.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

Is it possible to open a disk image .iso (dvd copy) with QT that was created with toast titanium, as i want to compress to MPG4 & save space.

..QT doesnt want to open .iso file (i changed the ending from .toast to .iso..)

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What you're trying to do doesn't make sense. An ISO is an image file and therefore must be mounted with Disk Utility before you can attempt to open it with Quicktime. So I recommend you mount the ISO and then try and open whatever the contents of the image are in QT and then try and convert.

3. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

OK thanks for the reply although disk utility says ''resource temporarily unavailable''..

Im just trying to copy a DVD i have, then compress it down to MP4 - if theres a simple way to explain this then much appreciated. I have VLC & Quicktime Pro

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you have a movie dvd/disk that you want to compress, use HandBrake. It' can be downloaded for free, though I am not sure about its Snow Leopard compatibility yet. It can work off of mounted disk images (like GimmeSlack was saying, a disk image must be mounted in order to use and is just how a cd/dvd is mounted when it appears on your desktop) as well, but can be used right from the disk. If you have Toast, it can mount it just about any main disk image format.

Otherwise, make a duplicate/copy of the file and change the extension of the copy to ".cdr" (Disk Utility's uncompressed image extension) and try opening that one if that's the only copy you have.

5. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, handbrake just found the .iso and converted it to mp4 very simply..

6. Errk! macrumors 6502

This is by no means official, but I've been using it extensively with Snow Leopard with no problems whatsoever.

7. Errk! macrumors 6502

Also - you can encode in Handbrake from an ISO without having to mount it. Just select the ISO as your source.