Opening iTunes under a different account?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Colecf, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Colecf macrumors newbie

OK, here's my problem. I want to host a website on my mac that's broadcasted on my local network. I want a button that launches itunes on the host computer. I found some good php code that will run a bash script, so I made a bash script to open itunes. The script works when I run it, but won't work when WWW (the user the website viewer logs in as) runs it. I suspect that's because it's trying to open itunes under it's own account.

What I want is a bash script that will open itunes on a different account than the one who's running the script. Or, if you could think of an alternative way of launching itunes (WITHOUT third-party software) I'd like to hear it.

Thanks!

2. Colecf thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved it!

I was getting desprate, so I found this software called homecontrol it did exactly what I wanted, (used php to control applications) except still wasn't my user interface. When I went through the set up process, I went "hey, this would probably make my script start working." I tried my previous script before, and it did!

Basically, I edited /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to run under my user. That way it would launch iTunes under the right user.