Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Yo. I just downloaded a .mpg video file and when I tried to open it in QT it said that the file could not be opened. Any way around this like a plugin or something?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Really, 33 minutes is a little quick to be getting impatient, especially in the middle of a workday.

In all likelihood it's a MPEG2 encoded file, which QT doesn't support without a non-free plugin (I think it costs $20 from Apple). VLC, as mentioned, will play those just fine. QT does play MPEG1 (and MPEG4, of course) video without issue, though.

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
I went through this when I wanted to make a compilation of my favourite music videos in iDvd and, let me tell you, it was a nightmare.

Anyhow, I bought the plug-in from Apple and my mpeg files would then play in Quicktime: only problem was the audio was encoded in AC3 and quicktime would not play the sound on AC3 files. So beware of that if you think about buying the component.

Eventually, I downloaded MPEG Streamclip, converted all my mpeg files to DV and all was good with quicktime and iDvd. I'm no video expert but I think this might work for iMovie as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.