Opening my first iphone on Friday - how far can I get without my computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by juliancs, Dec 20, 2010.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

I'm visiting my mum here in Singapore. I have an iphone arriving, but obviously don't have my computer. I'm reading the manual now (yes, that excited), and it says I need to connect it to itunes to use it.

My mum has a macbook but obviously has her own apps and music. I also understand you can only sync one phone to a computer?

So the question is, can I open my iphone, put in my micro sim (already activated in the UK), and use it to browse the app store on wifi? If not, can I connect it to my mum's macbook without wiping her/mine iphone/itunes?

I'm only confused because of the manual...cheers!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the iPhone is an unlocked one or locked to the UK SIM carrier then you will have no problem using it. But you first activate it using iTunes. You can have more then one iDevice synced on one iTunes account. You should no problem using the Macbook to activate the iPhone and even sync with it if you want.

3. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

So I just plug it in...can I sign in with my itunes account first? The phone is unlocked.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you want to make a new iTunes library on the Macbook, just hold down the Option key just after clicking the iTunes icon to open it. It'll then ask to create a new library or select one. You can then switch between the two using the Option key trick.

5. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting...so I could potentially copy my music using senuti from my ipod onto the computer, create a new library, dump the music on my ip4?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes

7. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

Amazing - last question for clarity. BEFORE I plug in the iphone, I log into my account on the itunes store?

You're a champ, thanks so much.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah. Once you connect the iPhone to the computer for the first time it will ask you to activate it. Just go through the steps on iTunes.