Opening old OS 9 files on 10.8.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ctsoundguy, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ctsoundguy macrumors newbie

I'm still running 10.6.8 on my 2009 Intel Core 2 duo iMac, but would like to upgrade to at least to 10.8.5. I know that older OS9 files are not supported in the newer OSX's, so how would I be able to open those older files if necessary when running a newer OS ?
    Thanks

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

What files specifically are you concerned about?

Clarisworks/Appleworks?

3. ctsoundguy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

LibreOffice is often mentioned as a good app to open those older files, and you should find it useful for viewing and using your AppleWorks files
    http://www.libreoffice.org

5. ctsoundguy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ratsg macrumors 6502

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

A few thoughts on moving AppleWorks files.

First:
    Use "LibreOffice" to "test" your file conversion, BEFORE you upgrade beyond 10.6.8.
    You can also try opening the docs using Pages or Numbers.

Second:
    Be aware that regarding AWorks' WP module, not all formatting will come through. Again, "test first".

Third:
    If you have some AWorks WP docs that don't easily transfer over to Libre (or Pages),
    AND
    You don't need to modify these docs in the future (just "look at them"),
    You could open each one, then use the print dialog to save it as a PDF format file.
    These can then be opened and viewed easily later on.
    Another way to save AWorks WP documents that don't have a lot of "fancy formatting" is in "rich text" format. Granted, this is "common denominator" format, but it works well as a "long term storage container" for text and pics.

Fourth:
    Spreadsheets -
    You can try either LibreOffice or Numbers to see if they will open your AWorks spreadsheets directly. It's possible that some formatting may be lost, but all data and formulas should come through OK.
    You can also save AWorks spreadsheets "as text", in "tab-delimited" format.
    I actually saved old spreadsheets that no longer need to be modified in PDF format (choose "save as pdf" from print dialog).

Fifth:
    Database files -
    Unfortunately, there seems to be no app that I know of that can open and read AWorks database files directly.
    You'll need to save them "as text". They should be saved with a tab "delimiting" each field, and each record will have a carriage return at the end.
    LibreOffice offers a way to "build" a database, but it looks rather involved, unless one is into such stuff (I'm not).
    There is a small and inexpensive "alternative flat-file database" app out there called "iData" which may be worth consideration. It's very easy to learn and works well (but remember, it's totally "flat-file", nothing more).