opening pages documents with word 08 in windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benlangdon, Nov 15, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ok im getting really sick of whenever i send my mom an essay or thing made in pages i have to export it.

is there a plugin i can install on her computer or anything.

when i send pages to my mom's computer she gets winrar files and if you open them its just a page with ?????????? on it.

if it helps she is running
    office 2008
    windows xp

any help would be great, and if there is nothing i think i might start to use open office because its really getting annoying. i love pages so i don't want to switch, but if it comes to it....

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

when you do it like 10 times a day its pretty annoying.
    and when you do it you have to make a sub folder or else it gets all fumbled up.

there has to be a better way. this is lame.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To clarify, it's Mac Word 2008 and Windows Word 2007.

If I understand correctly, you are using Pages on your Mac and e-mail to your Pages document to your Mom who cannot open it up with Windows Word 2007.

If she only needs to read your documents, an option that you can do is print to PDF document. Then e-mail the PDF document to her. Then she can open and view it with Adobe Acrobat.

You could also export to RTF format.

If, on the other hand, you need 100% compatibility then you might consider purchasing Word or Office 2008 for the Mac.

5. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well the year was off i guess.
    anyway.
    i have word for mac 2008 and hate it.
    i also have pages, which i love.
    i also have open office which i barely use.

my mom (and to be honest these documents are not only going to my mom, they are going to a bunch of people) has word for windows 2007 ( or w/e the newest one is) but in general word on windows.

i know how to export in all the different types,
    but my goal is not to export.
    my goal is to have a plugin for windows office that allows it to open "pages" documents.

just a side note.
    i posted this thread on here because searching in google for anything pages related is ridiculous. sure you do get the apple website help things to show up in the search but if you type something like "how to open pages in microsoft word" all you get is a bunch of things with the word pages (refearing to the actual word pages) and not the program pages

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pages files aren't really files at all, they're folders that only look like files. So no, you're not going to find any support from Microsoft for these files. If you like Pages as much as you say you do, then exporting to another file format on the occasions when needed hardly seems like a major burden. Using Word or a Word clone instead for this one reason -- now, that seems like a burden.

As for Pages help, you can get quite a bit of that here.

7. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya i was wondering why when i sent a file in pages format it came as a .rar file. then when i tried to open it i got nothing. i could see the jpg used for preview but that was it.

ya i guess thats what i have to do (export).
    but i have been doing this like 10 times a day.
    o well, just put that on my list of things to make :rolleyes:

8. devaney macrumors newbie

Come on BenLangon - even 10 essays a day which is tricky to believe for a student (lol) would take you no time to export to a Word friendly doc. You kids really have got it to easy! When I was a lad.......

9. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya i know, its just annoying.
    no its not 10 essays a day, its like 15 drafts a day. we send essays back in forth correcting and adding to them and etc.

10. chenxiaoqino macrumors newbie

actually there is a simple way.
    open pages document by WinRAR, and find the file Preview.pdf, then you get all the things you want.
    if you need to copy things out, upload it to Google Docs.

11. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure he'll have figured it out by now...