Opening password protected MS excel document

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chickenlegs, Dec 13, 2007.

1. chickenlegs macrumors member

chickenlegs

Does anyone know how to open a password protected MS Excel document in Numbers? The Excel doc has come in as an email attachment. I know what the password is, but Numbers won't open it as it says it's encrypted. I want to open it in Numbers and not Excel.

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

you can't.

pain in the arse flaws of iWorks....if a Word/Excel file is pass protected, Pages/Numbers won't open it.....and vise-versa......you can't save a file in Pages/Numbers with a password. No such option.

lame-o :rolleyes:

3. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

If you don't have office for mac, you can try using NeoOffice, it works with password protected files created with office applications. :apple:

4. chickenlegs thread starter macrumors member

chickenlegs

NeoOffice documents

Am I right that you can't open a NeoOffice document in iWorks??

I have been able to open a password protected MS Excel file in NeoOffice, but now seem to be stuck using NeoOffice to edit it!
    Chris

5. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

In NeoOffice you will have to save a copy of your file unprotected as an Excel document (.xls), then you will be able to open it in Numbers...
    and yes you will lose the password protection for the file. In NeoOffice I believe you can only save password protected files in native format or if you choose an Office 2007 file format (.xlsx)

:apple: