Opening pdf's in adobe reader/acrobat slower than safari's pdf reader??!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

So on my imac, i have adobe reader. i open pdf's A LOT in safari, i have a feeling when opening a pdf in safari using a adobe reader, its slower, same thing with acrobat which is basically the same thing. if i use the built in pdf viewer in safari, i may be wrong, but the pages load faster.

and slow is not an option, i open pdf's from the internet at school a lot, and theres no time to waste.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yep, Adobe Reader is a lot slower than Preview. I don't even have it installed on my Mac and never have any problems.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Why use acrobat at all, preview is A LOT faster and works just fine for all pdfs I have ever encountered.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

One question. WHY? :eek: :confused:

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

but how about safari's reader? is that just preview built in?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I believe that Safari just calls preview to open the pdfs, but I may be wrong. If i were you, I'd just ditch Reader and go full time preview. It's faster and you can do a lot more to the pdfs than you can with reader.

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

And heck, if you are using Leopard and just need to look something up in the PDF, just QuickLook the PDF. Faster than anything else.

8. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Because with Adobe you can do a lot to the document that you can not do with preview. That is why I use it.

9. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

is there a way to make pdf's open in safari without adobe, like is there something in adobe preferences that makes it not the default for viewing pdf's in safari?

10. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I will research and get back to you; if someone does not do this before me. I right mouse click on the file and choose open with. Then I choose Adobe; you would choose Preview. The first time I did this I was given the option to repeat this action with this file type. I want Adobe to be the default so I chose yes. We need to find the files association and change it. But where?

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This is not meant to be sarcastic, but what can you do in reader (not full acrobat) that you can't do in preview. I'm curious because I dont even bother with reader.

12. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Bingo

Right click on the file and choose get info. There is a heading called Open with... you can set the default file opener there.:cool:

13. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

That is ok. I use the purchased product. Because I have need to edit pdf files and to break and join them. Not sure at all if the free reader from Adobe has any leg up on Preview. Oh... it prints my files better... Adobe I mean.

14. dtyson macrumors member

You can certainly break and join PDF files in Preview - very convenient.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

PDF is a QuickTime filetype. Safari uses the QuickTime plug-in or calls Preview.

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

annotation, comments, etc
    PDF is a format created by Adobe in 1993.

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Adobe Acrobat Reader is really quite pointless. Preview is much faster, more elegant, and provides a few useful tools that should cover you in almost any PDF situation.

Ahem...

Picture 1.png

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I guess you just can't change your habit of attacking me even w/o provoke, trust me, thats a bad habit, and considered insulting here at MR.

never mind.

there is slight difference between preview and adobe reader, if you print excel chart to a PDF file, sometimes you will see the difference in the output result between the preview and adobe reader.

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Sorry for correcting you.

Surely hardly a reason to sacrifice the speed and elegance of Preview over Acrobat Reader. In fact, when I install Adobe CS3 I purposely do not install the full version of Acrobat, which is basically a slower, fatter, crappier version of Reader and doesn't add any value to my life at all.

PDFs are natively handled by the Mac OS without any sort of plugin from Adobe.

Not sure about the status of PDF viewing in Windows as I haven't used Windows in years, but I imagine it's still as pitiful as before.

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, to say "you are always wrong" is hardly considered a correction of this certain case, is it?
    Well, most of the time, yes, preview is faster, but there are situations that compatibility is very important, and thats enough reason to have acrobat installed.

PS. Im not convinced on annotation yet, I will have to try out on my Tiger first. ;)

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well at the very least, one should still have Preview set as default for PDFs, as launching Reader every time you want to view a PDF when you don't need it 99% of the time would be annoying. Even more so for people with Acrobat CS3.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is true that Preview isn't 100% compatible, but there are cases where extra compatibility would be useful, so Adobe Reader isn't entirely pointless.

Also true.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the original question is why somebody needs adobe acrobat, not how often he uses it.

I just tried preview in Tiger, the annotation function in adobe reader is pretty comprehensive, including different symbols for different operations, such as Insert, delete, replace, etc. These are all what we need to do when the proof copy of the accepted paper was sent back.

Preview is good enough for viewing of PDF, just like evince, but sometimes, some ppl in some professions need more than that.

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

And 99% of the time, those people have either Acrobat Standard or Pro, so reader is absolutely useless to them as well.

As the one who started the whole 'what can READER do that preview can't' thing - it was out of pure curiosity. I don't have reader installed because the only things I do to PDF files is view and maybe join/split them.

If there is anything else I need to do to edit them, I take them to work, where I have access to Acrobat Pro.

25. lag1090 macrumors 6502

To still retain Acrobat as an app, but to use the built-in PDF viewing functionality in Safari simply find the following directory:

Main HD > Library > Internet Plug-Ins

Within that folder should be a file similar to "AdobePDF". Just delete/move it to another folder and restart Safari. Next time you want to view a PDF, it will use the built-in preview, while you will still be able to save the PDF and then open it in Acrobat.