"opening printer connection" - can't print!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by QCassidy352, Aug 5, 2008.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

got a problem with my (several year old) HP 5740. When I try to print, I get the message "opening printer connection," but the message just stays there, the connection never opens, and nothing prints.

it used to work fine. The problems started when I had to replace the black ink. For a while after I put the new cartridge in, the ink light stayed on, but I eventually got it to recognize that it had ink. But then this problem popped up.

I've tried about 3 different sets of drivers (including the ones it came with and the most recent ones). It's connected to an airport extreme, and neither computer on the network can print to it (one running 10.5.4 and one running 10.4.11).

I'm totally out of ideas... any help? Please?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Connect your printer directly to your computer and get it working. Then take it from there.

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks but I've tried that. Same problem. Any fix you can think of that would get it working on a direct connection might work for the airport too, but in this case I can't do anything either way.

4. chaben34 macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I have the exact same problem. My HP PSC 1610 has the same error. I get the message "opening printer connection," but the message just stays there, the connection never opens, and nothing prints.

Any thoughts would be helpful