All iPads Opening Smart Cover, way to not have keyboard pop up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by miamialley, Nov 10, 2014.

1. miamialley, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

When you open the Smart Cover, the keyboard pops up, rather than just showing your wallpaper. Is there a way to not have the keyboard pop up (or the pin pad prompt)? With Touch ID, I doubt many need the keyboard and I never get to see my lock screen wallpaper.

There's no need to have the password prompt show up at all by default with Touch ID. It doesn't do it on the iPhone and it shouldn't when using the Smart Cover for the iPad.

Attached Files:

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

I'm not getting that. I just get the lock screen.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Mine does the same thing. Comes up with the pin code screen (since I have the 4 digit one on).

4. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I think there is a setting to lock/unlock when the cover is open...since you have a complex passcode, the keyboard is displayed. Those with 4 digit pins just see the pin pad.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. miamialley, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Then you don't have is password protected or what? I'm confused.

Well you guys are reporting two different things. I don't want the keyboard or unlock pin code prompt to come up.

Right, but I still want the Smart Cover to lock and unlock. I don't want to see he keyboard or pin pad.

I just want my lock screen to be shown when I open the Smart Cover, just as the iPhone and iPad do when you press the sleep wake buton. It doesn't prompt you to put in a pin or password. You only see your lock screen. Looks like this may not be possible. :(

7. thmshale macrumors member

thmshale

In the settings, there's a toggle where you can disable the sleep/wake functionality of opening or closing the Smart Cover. If you turn that off, then opening the cover won't wake the device and and you can do it manually (without bringing up the keyboard, I believe) by pressing the home or lock button.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's not possible. The keypad to enter your 4 digit passcode will always be there when u use the cover to wake the device.

If u wake it with the buttons it won't show the keypad.

9. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

That produces this prompt.

Attached Files:

10. miamialley, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, that's stupid. I don't need that prompt with Touch ID. Using a Smart Cover makes the prompt appear for no reason. Such an Apple thing to do.

11. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

I have TouchID and Passcode On.

It seems I don't get the prompt when I have notifications, and I get it when I do have notifications.

I typically have notifications, and that's why I posted I was not getting the prompt.

12. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Makes sense.

13. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Have you tried looking for a jailbreak app that can make the system go straight to the lock screen instead? Sometimes, that is the only resort. Sent from my iPad.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Can't you turn off the option to unlock with the Smart Cover?

15. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yes, but I still want it to serve that purpose. I just don't ever want to see the pin code or keyboard prompts as it's unnecessary with Touch ID.

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you turn that off, what happens? Does the screen not turn on at all?

Do you just want to look at the lock screen for some reason? If so, how about just have it so the smart cover does not wake the device, and then just tap the home button. Keep your finger nearby since you'll be unlocking it with Touch ID in a few seconds anyways.

It's not ideal, but I doubt Apple was thinking much of the utility of staring at a Lock Screen wallpaper.

17. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

When you wake your iPhone with either the home button or the sleep wake button, you do NOT see a prompt for the keyboard or the pin pad. That's all I want. I want Apple's iPhone implementation on the iPad. They thought about it with the iPhone, but then do it differently on the iPad for no reason. I imagine nobody wants to see either of those on the screen if you are using Touch ID.

If you turn of the lock/wake using the Smart Cover opening it or closing it does nothing in either case.

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you use the iPad without the smart cover, it works just as the iPhone. When you press the home button, you see just the lock screen, same as on the iPhone.

The situations can't be compared because there is no "smart cover" or smart cover mechanism for the iPhone. If you want it to work like the iPhone, treat it this way: The cover is just that, a cover. Peel it back to reveal the lock screen (with it set to not wake the device when you remove the cover from the screen). Now, it works exactly as the iPhone. Tap the home button to wake the screen, and there you go. Same as you would on the iPhone.

19. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Guys, there's no reason for the password prompt to pop up at all. Anyone want to argue that point? That's all I'm saying.

There is no Smart Cover for the iPhone, so no, you can't compare. If there were I'm sure you'd rather not see the password prompt if you use Touch ID. To my point, I'm sure this will be something Apple will change on the iPad in their own Apple-time.

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There's no need? It's a time-saver, so you don't have to remove the cover, then swipe, then type in your passcode. I think the assumption from Apple (whether you feel it's fair or not), is that most people don't just like to sit and look at their wallpaper. People generally pick up their iPad to open it up and use it.

I'm not saying it's right, but it makes sense. Send your feedback to Apple though, feedback is always welcome if you feel something should be changed.

21. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

So why doesn't the password prompt show up immediately when you wake your iPhone? You said that's what is most convenient. (When Touch ID enabled)

With Touch ID, there is no longer a need for an immediate password prompt.

----------

And if you don't care about seeing your lock screen then why don't you just make it a black background? I'm guessing you won't do that.

22. mrochester macrumors 65816

The answer is, you can't do what you want it to do. The iPad will always default to asking you for a pin or password to unlock when opening the cover if you have that set to wake the device. If you have no pin or passcode set, opening the case actually completely wakes the iPad (I.e, you skip the 'slide to unlock' screen like you get when waking the iPhone).

23. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

I completely agree with the OP. I'd much rather open the Smart Cover and see my wallpaper as I'm using the Touch ID. Showing the log-in screen has no advantages.

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

It doesn't bother me at all I get used to it when I open Smart Cover there is passcode screen.
    OP if it bothers you then you might not need a smart cover anyway. :apple:

25. Mw0103 macrumors regular

Here is the answer to your question:

The Smart Cover actually activates two steps--wakes the iPad (like pushing a button on the iPhone, which shows the lock screen) AND slide to unlock (which if you do on the iPhone or Smart Cover-less iPad produces the password screen). Hence why you see the password screen when you open the Smart Cover.

The reason is likely because those who don't want to password lock their iPad may jump straight to the home screen upon opening the cover. It would be mighty annoying to have to swipe to unlock for those who don't want/need to lock their iPads and use a Smart Cover. The inconvenience of your situation (never getting to see your lock screen or turning off wake on open in favor of using touch ID like on the iPhone) is the lesser evil of the trade-off.