Opening specific UDP Ports in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doug.hall, Dec 14, 2007.

1. doug.hall macrumors regular

Does anyone know how I can open ports 6001 and 6002 in my firewall? I used to be able to do this in Tiger but I can't find how to do it in Leopard. I believe I need these ports open to enable streaming of music to multiple speakers.

Any ideas?

2. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Leopard's firewall is application- rather than port-specific (a real pain in the a** until you get used to it). So if you know which app needs to access those ports, you can go into the firewall prefpane and "allow incoming connections" for that app. This is good, in a way, because you can allow something like RealPlayer, which uses a ton of obscure ports, to access those ports without opening them up for every application -- and malware, should it ever come to that.

For a slightly more Tiger-like configuration, you can download NoobProof (looks really good for semi-sophisticated users) or the much more detailed Waterroof as frontend GUIs to the firewall.

Does that help at all?

3. doug.hall thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. It's iTunes that requires it which is already selected in the firewall. I suspect that iTunes is calling another application to support multiple speakers. Both of my laptops that had the posts open with Tiger work within Leopard but my new machine which came with Leopard pre-installed does not.

I'll give the applications you recommend a shot and see how I get on.

Thanks again.