Opening the New WD MyBooks? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OldSkoolNJ, Jan 23, 2008.

1. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Ok so I got one of the Essentials 1TB Western Digital MyBooks. This is one of the newer models. Now I got this on a real good deal I couldnt pass. Now first off I have 2 1Tb externals on my computer already and I try my best to use FW800. So this HD isnt really needed nor would I use it as an external. So I was thinking of pulling the drive from it and installing it in the iMac. Now I knew how to easily pull apart the previous gen WD MyBooks and I think there are various posts here about it. However this new one is hiding its secrets well. I can start to pry certain areas to see where it comes apart but I can not find the source of those clips. Now mind you I do not want to break this case. I dont want to open it up and find it is a low cache and then not be able to reassemble it good as new. Or also I want to put my old hard drive back in it. Sooooo anyone had any luck yet? While we are on the topic ... does anyone know what the specs on the HD in this unit is? Mostly concerned with Cache as almost all are 7200rpm. Is there a way to plug in an external and find out what cache it is through some hardware profiler or anything?

Thanks guys

Kevin :apple:

2. OldSkoolNJ thread starter macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Has no one anything to say? Has anyone een attempted it and have anything to offer on how far you got?

Kevin :apple:

3. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Use a hammer? I really have no idea about the MyBook setups. I just use 3rd party cases and purchase HDs separately :)