Opening two webpages, 15" standard res / 15" hi-res / 17" mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jul 6, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I love my 15" MBP and it's standard resolution screen, I'm not a fan of tiny fonts.

But, I do wish I could view two web or document pages side by side and have a larger view of each page.

My question is on the 15" compared to the 15" high res do you see a 'lot' more of each page.

Then comparing the hi-res 15" to the 17" MBP do you again see 'lot' more of each page.

More screen real estate would be nice, at the expense of tiny fonts I'm not sure.

One other thing that's making me consider a change is the availability of AG screen on the hi-res 15 and 17" screens. Summer is here I seem to be outside and in brighter area's more and I'm noticing the glossy screen a little more than I'd like.

What to do? Tough decision.

2. swl7 macrumors member

i have the 15" with HR-AG and the real estate is nice. When you're outside, it definitely uses the best of its features to satisfy you. The font isn't that tiny as people say, or maybe because I'm not old yet :)

I was going to show you a screenshot of the real estate but does that even work? lol it'l be messed up unless you have a desktop you can view it on

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks very much. I can view it on my 24" ACD

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I can view two webpages side-by-side easily on my 17". Even a webpage and Pages document, with space for my Twitter widget to spare.

The 1920x1200 resolution is worth it IMO, but if you get the 15", at least get the high res one.

I do not find the font small or unreadable. Of course, I'm 20 years old and have perfect 20/20 vision :D

5. Garrus macrumors member

The fonts on the HR are about the size of the fonts in a newspaper or in a normal book...:)

6. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

If someone fancies doing the low res, here's a screenshot you can compare to.

Desktop side by side browsers.

Edit: The BBC website maybe wasn't the best example as it has so many of those boxes which make the page a bit wider. Almost every website doesn't need horizontal scrolling.

With the snap on bettertouchtool I love the high res screen. Think it's the perfect res tbh (until res independence).

7. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

You pretty much need the 17" to make good use out of opening 2 websites on one page. You can with the 15" but have to do some sideways scrolling like in the BBC image above my post.

8. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Likel said, BBC page was a bad example as I'd have a hard time finding another website that you'd need it on.