Opening Unix File From Windows on Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MuffinDweller, Feb 19, 2010.

1. MuffinDweller macrumors newbie

I am trying to open a file labeled MPDATA (No extension.) I've seen this file opened on a Windows operating computer, and you can read clear-english text, and edit numbers and words inside it. However, when I try to open it on my macbook, I get a file with a bunch of symbol's and characters like

"Rar! œês ¥$t@êL Ña Ña ãØË0˘ K< 0' MW2 Prestige hack\MW2 Prestige hack.rar ∞ÊËIRar! ŒôsÄ æ¥É féç
    ΩR¥g∆My)ãìW•» 5øìgvÛwd‚ ÷”ksC ¬}ëÕq¯Œƒ’ ”|péaäéuÙqÈ˘ùÃÍ Åæ"

I have tried adding numerous extensions to it (Doc, PDF, WPD, ODF, Docx & IIRC.) None of which have worked, I also tried opening it in terminal, word, & text edit, again have not worked.

This file is basically used to edit the numbers to upgrade a level on a video game, I know the process of how to do so. I just have to be able to view/edit the document, but as of now. I cannot get it to even open, If you could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

:eek:

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

This file isn't a Unix file. It is a windows file OS X doesn't know what to do with, so it get labeled as a Unix file.

Is it a .exe?

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Maybe a RAR file? which is an archive like zip?

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

5. mslide macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about the MPData files used for Call of Duty games? Those are binary files. If you saw pictures of people easily editing that file then it's because they were using an MPData editor program and not something like TextEdit or Word. I'd search for mpdata editors. I'd be surprised if you found one that ran on OSX. They are probably all windows programs. I guess you could use a hex editor, but I'm guessing you are looking for something a lot simpler than that.

6. MuffinDweller thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is used for COD/MW2, on PS3. I will google some MPData editor program, and see if that works. Thank you.

7. MuffinDweller thread starter macrumors newbie

HixEditor is too difficult, is there an MPDATA editor for mac?