Opening up a macbook pro void warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tvt5043, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Tvt5043 macrumors member

Yesterday I opened up my Macbook pro I got earlier this year in Sept. Due to a car crash my Macbook flew out the window crashing into the floor at an angle where it beat up a whole side tip of my Macbook ( lucky for me it didn't land any other way), which ruined the top, middle, and bottom casing. I then ordered a replacment first for my bottom casing. I then switch everything to the other case and put the whole thing back together not knowing it will void my warranty till I had a talk with a friend earlier.

So my question is that, is the warranty actually void considering that nothing in the machine was replaced or damaged (works as it should) and if it is am I able to have my warranty back if i take my macbook to Apple and have them take a look at my whole machine even if it means paying for it to get my warranty back?

There are no physical damage of any sort, but if they open it up it is noticeable that it has be touched

2. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Having your computer fly out your window during a car crash juuuust might void your warranty a bit.

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I hope that you survived the crash unhurt. Is there a reason that you didn't have the MBP in a case or secured? I doubt that Apple would do free service on a machine that was a projectile in a car accident. Imagine the claim, "The hinge seems to be out of alignment, can you look at it since it's only a month old?" But then, if you don't fully disclose they would not know but could guess that it experienced some type of impact.

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

you should have filed a claim with the insurance because the macbook was damaged in the crash.

5. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

Yeh, you think?

I feel bad for the OP's situation, but I can't stop laughing at the question being asked.

The question that comes to mind is where is the serial number in all of this? Is it on one of the panels that you are replacing?

6. Guilfox macrumors member

How Unreasonable

Man, manufacturers are getting picky these days.

I had a similar instace when I crashed my car into a tree and was horrified to discover that BMW didn't cover this under the warranty:mad:

Seems the credit crunch has made everybody go tight!

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Technically, damaging the case of your Macbook doesn't void the warranty. HOWEVER if you have issues down the road and they take it on for repair with serious cosmetic defects, they will say "I'm sorry this looks like abuse" and won't honor the warranty anymore. To answer your other question, opening the computer will not void the warranty (This is how you have to install RAM on the new models). IF however, you damage something in the process of opening it, the warranty is void. If you tamper or remove any components displaying the serial number, it also voids your warranty.
    Also, if you pay for repairs, there is a 90 day warranty attached to any repair Apple conducts. Those will have their own warranty, but only for the components that were replaced/repaired.
    Hope this information is actually helpful :rolleyes:

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your warranty's been voided the second your comp flew out of your window, any problem can be blamed on the car crash now.

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Seriously thats a great point we could all learn from. There's been cases of people dying from various objects on the back dash area flying up and hitting them in the head. Someone got killed from a Kleenex box hitting them in the temple. Just imagine the force of a laptop, it could easily decapitate you...especially a unibody aluminum one if the crash was big enough. :eek:

10. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone for the replies. I'm guessing that my warranty isnt void since everything is working properly and no new components were added. The MBP was only opened and unscrewed which was put back together properly.