Opening up Enrollment in the iPhone Developer Program?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dgdosen, Jun 1, 2008.

1. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Today, I received an email from Apple noting I'm now eligible to join the iPhone Developer Program (standard $99 version).

Seeing as I've barely played with the iPhone SDK, I'm guessing they're letting everyone get on board for the $99 version to at least load apps onto your phone.

Correct? Anyone else get the green light today?

It looks like it will take five days to be delivered! I hope it gets here by the time I leave for the WWDC....

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Got mine back in February, and I downloaded the different updates, and forgot what some of them were suppose to do, b/c there were so many updates in a short period. Good Luck. Hopefully you can create the next app to be added to the newest iPhone. :cool:

3. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I've been a paying ADC (Select) member for a couple of years. I've applied for the iPhone Developer Program. I've downloaded every SDK update. I've coded a few small test applications for the iPhone simulator. And I've still not received an email to enroll in the $99 iPhone Developer Program.

They've slowly been adding people since they announced it. I don't think fully they'll open it up until after firmware 2.0 is publicly available. Until then, it seems they're stick with whatever the selection process has been: First come, first serve? Random? Who knows.

4. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Should have clarified - I was always able to download the SDK (all six versions...)

This new ability was to pay to allow a developer (or company) to actually deploy apps to a phone.

I went ahead and signed up for it. The signup page noted it takes five days to ship - which I hope it gets here by Friday.

Does anybody know what's in the kit they mail out? I was hoping they'd just email a key to enter into XCode to allow me to deploy an app to a phone...

5. neven macrumors 6502a

They don't mail out a kit at all. The whole payment process is pretty confusing - it looks like you're buying a physical product.

You'll get an email with instructions on what to do. It's all done on the computer.

Or so I'm told :p

6. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Excellent... No wonder they didn't charge me shipping...

It looks like they'll need to allow me to download a new beta version of the firmware, as the SDK isn't compatible with 1.1.4...

7. neven macrumors 6502a

8. matthew858 macrumors member

I'm still waiting for my e-mail... Checking the inbox every 5 minutes. :(

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Basically, what you are buying is access to another section of the iPhone developer website, as well as links to download the iPhone and iPod Touch OS 2.0 betas. There's actually a number of steps to get setup to build and run an app on the device itself, which you do through that new section.

I can see why would be more open to allowing people in now - as of Beta 6, the security was tightened a bit, with your phone only being able to work with one developer-app at a time.

10. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Fine by me...

I got my confirmation email and am migrating to V2 right now...

11. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Hmm, this is weird.

I'm trying to get iPhone development going on two machines (one mpb, one mac pro) and I was having problems getting an app deployed on the laptop. I moved over to the desktop, and deployed an app - and it worked! The only issue is - I didn't follow the instructions!

I didn't correctly define the certificate name for code signing to the one I imported into my keychain - and it worked! It fails when I try to use the correct name. This make me think that there's some issues with the whole code-signing process. I went back to the laptop and tried deploying without the correct key name (just left the default "iPhone Developer") and it worked as well!

Are there any better support forums for Apple and the SDK with iPhone Developers?

12. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I left out the AppID and that works as well!

Something tells me we're in for another beta soon. The quality bar Apple has set for releasing this stuff is pretty low!

13. neven macrumors 6502a

The release cycle for the betas so far has been a steady two weeks. So, next version at WWDC.

14. matthew858 macrumors member

15. OUfan316 macrumors newbie

So, it's not a physical item shipped?

I just applied to be an iPhone developer for the $99. It said it takes 5 days to ship. Are they actually physically shipping me something to my house, or is it done all on computer?