Opening up your iMac voids the warranty, right?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LogicPro, Dec 17, 2012.

1. LogicPro macrumors regular

So, all these photos of iMac tear-downs are great... but they void the warranty, right? Also, what's the deal with the screen tape, and closing everything back up?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Right!

If you could bring it back to the exact state it was in before opening they might not see.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yup you are right on the money. Some people simply do not care about a warranty and care to self insure which is just a fancy way of saying they will pay all bills.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If you damage anything when you open the iMac, then your warranty is void.
    If you replace any of the non-serviceable parts, such as the hard drive, then your warranty is void.

5. leman macrumors 604

I am still not sure whether this is actually true. Of course, Apple would claim it is, but legally it shouldn't affect the warranty (of course, the warranty won't extend to the replaced part). I admit this is purely academic though, as you would be requested to prove that replacing the part didn't indirectly cause damage to the computer (which on practice, is impossible).

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Here is the wording from Apple:

Points f and g are the specific ones that I am referring to in this thread. There is another document from Apple that also mentions the user-serviceable bit. The iMac manual makes it clear that the only part that is user-serviceable in a 27" iMac is the RAM. Changing anything else will result in a loss of warranty. If Apple considered the hard drive to be a user-serviceable part, then they would have not put a propriety power plug on it. If you change the hard drive, then you are modifying the capability of the Apple Product without the written permission of Apple.

7. mihai.ile macrumors member

The f is somehow questionable since how I read it is that the warranty does not cover damage made by someone not authorized and actually damages something, but the g one says it clear. Any modification inside of the iMac (which implies removing the screen) and you are out of warranty.

One could still open the iMac out of curiosity without changing anything and still have warranty, given that it did not break anything ( line f ) in my opinion.

8. leman macrumors 604

Ah, you are right, that g) part makes the thing pretty clear... Is it a recent addition? I remember seeing f) before but not g)...

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If you read the warranty literally, then it is exactly like I summarised in my first post and you're right. In theory, if you open the iMac, have a look, do not damage anything and stick it back together, then you have not voided the warranty. But if the iMac has whatever hardware issue later on and Apple can prove that you opened it (different type of sticky tape or whatever), then it won't be too hard for their lawyers to claim that you caused the damage when you opened it. And Apple has pretty good lawyers.

----------

I am not sure about that. I found it by searching the support pages. There is actually another warranty on a different page that does not have g specifically stated, which is what you are probably referring to.

10. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

With the new screen, I seriously doubt you could take it apart and then reseal it without evidence of your tampering. The sticky tape has to be peeled off and then new tape reapplied.