Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hscottm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Havent seen this before,and found no search hits on here.

I have my Safari preferences to "Automatically" open a new tab with a new link open. When I do this within Safari it works as expected (adds a tab to the right of all open tabs). I also have the "make a new tab the active window" option checked which works fine.

However when I click on a link in an e-mail (in OS X Mail 6.2 (1499)), instead of the above behavior it overwrites a random tab in Safari and makes it active. Whatever was in that old tab (might be the third tab in an inactive window) is gone. Only way I can get it back is to reopen windows from last session. Heck, I cant even figure out how it is deciding which tab to randomly overwrite.

It hasn't always been like this. And the only major change I have made recently is last week's Macbook Air and Macbook Pro 2.0 updater for mid-2012 machines.

Any ideas? I have trashed the ~/Library/Preferences/safari...plist file and it made no difference.

hscottm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
self-serving bump. noone else seen this, or have an idea of how to fix?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Havent seen this before,and found no search hits on here.

I have my Safari preferences to "Automatically" open a new tab with a new link open. When I do this within Safari it works as expected (adds a tab to the right of all open tabs). I also have the "make a new tab the active window" option checked which works fine.

However when I click on a link in an e-mail (in OS X Mail 6.2 (1499)), instead of the above behavior it overwrites a random tab in Safari and makes it active. Whatever was in that old tab (might be the third tab in an inactive window) is gone. Only way I can get it back is to reopen windows from last session. Heck, I cant even figure out how it is deciding which tab to randomly overwrite.

It hasn't always been like this. And the only major change I have made recently is last week's Macbook Air and Macbook Pro 2.0 updater for mid-2012 machines.

Any ideas? I have trashed the ~/Library/Preferences/safari...plist file and it made no difference.

What happens when you set it from automatically to always open new tabs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.