OpenOffice 3.0 for Mac Experience

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by voxnj, Jun 28, 2008.

1. voxnj macrumors regular

I've been using OpenOffice 3.0 (Beta) heavily for over a week. It does a great job with "Word", "Excel" and "PowerPoint" documents. I have found it fast, stable and very similar in fell and function to the Microsoft Office products for Windows.

After 20 years on the PC, I switched to Mac last month. The Microsoft Office applications for Mac are, in my opinion, terrible! They are slow; gobble memory, are somewhat unstable and lack many of the features of their PC cousins. I would strongly recommend NOT purchasing Office for Mac.

My clients generally use PCs and Office. OpenOffice allows me complete compatibility with my clients and years of accumulated Office documents. OpenOffice also has PDF export!

For those who don't know yet, OpenOffice is free! (Available as a download from www.Openoffice.org ) Although the Mac version is still technically BETA, I've had no problems and have adopted it as my primary platform for documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

From the OpenOffice website:

OpenOffice.org's Mission Statement is...
    To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format.

The OpenOffice.org project is primarily sponsored by Sun Microsystems, which is the primary contributor of code to the Project. Our other major corporate contributors include Novell, RedHat, RedFlag CH2000, IBM, and Google. Additonally over 450,000 people from nearly every curve of the globe have joined this Project with the idea of creating the best possible office suite that all can use. This is the essence of an "open source." community!​

I encourage others with experience (good and bad) to post their comments, learnings and suggestions.

2. nastebu macrumors 6502

I've played with OpenOffice 3.0 and had no problems. BUT, it is a bad idea to rely on a beta application for things so critical as your key documents. The download page at OpenOffice says this, "The software is not recommended for production use at this stage. There are no guarantees. For production, use our most recent stable version."

That said, when they finish the 3.0 version, I'm going to try it for a month, both out of curiosity and out of the hope that I'll be able to recommend it whole-heartedly to students and friends who would otherwise have to pay for MS Office or iWork. I get Office for free from work, and I don't have any real complaint about it, but open source alternatives rock.

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I gave it a go and found it did funny things in Calc when I used the scroll ball. Have gone back to NeoOffice at least until it is released.