OpenOffice 3.0 freezing on Air?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akm3, Nov 13, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

My wife has a Macbook Air, and has no other problems with any other software.

However, using OpenOffice 3.0, when using the Word clone, it will intermittently freeze and require killing the whole openoffice app. NeoOffice also had a similar problem, but it happened much less frequently.

Does anyone experience the same issues? Should I just move her to MS Office 08? Any other tips?

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

What system is she using? Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5)? Is the software up-to-date for that system?

Has she used Disk Utility? I occasionally use it, and have had very few, if any problems.

What about uninstalling (including all preferences and support files related to OO), then re-installing?

I have been using Open Office 3.0 since the pre-Beta and it has never crashed on me (OS 10.5.5, MBP 2.4 GHz).

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

She is on Leopard. That is good advice, I'll try a disk utility/permissions repair, and full uninstall and reinstall of OpenOffice (and knock NeoOffice out of there too, while I'm at it) and give it another go.

4. kellyl macrumors newbie

Burned by OpenOffice

OpenOffice.org is a mediocre alternative to Microsoft Office for some tasks.

Cons:
    No OS level file locking support
    Poor tab support in Word documents
    Poor cell formatting behavior in Excel spreadsheets

I got burned by OpenOffice. I stuck my neck out as an IT administrator in my company and made a suggestion to use OpenOffice as an alternative to Microsoft Office in order to save money. Management at my company liked the idea and went along with it; half of the company opted to use OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office... we made it a voluntary thing. Anyway, a year later, with the release of OpenOffice.org 3.0, we start running into many problems that have been identified, and there doesn't seem to be any initiative to resolve these issues by the developers.

Effective last week, we are back to Microsoft Office only as our corporate standard; and, we have purchased several new licenses of Microsoft Office for everyone.

If you're thinking about bringing it into your company to save a little money; my advice: don't waste your time.... buy Microsoft Office.